Can I get EMT certified in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allendo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey would it be a good Idea to try to get EMT cert while in med school? Could this help me in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess the answer to that question is why would you want to?

You obviously don't need the medical knowledge. If you're looking to learn the non-medical aspects of EMS because you're really interested then it might be. It certainly won't help you get into an EM residency, though.

For most people, I would say it isn't worth it. You mileage may vary, though.

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
I guess the answer to that question is why would you want to?

You obviously don't need the medical knowledge. If you're looking to learn the non-medical aspects of EMS because you're really interested then it might be. It certainly won't help you get into an EM residency, though.

For most people, I would say it isn't worth it. You mileage may vary, though.

Take care,
Jeff
I was just thinking it would help me get more EM exp. Does anyone have any insight into what I could do after my first year to increase my EM exp. I dont want to be a secretary in the EM checkin in PTs.

Members don't see this ad :)
As an MS-II and Medic of 10 yrs I can say that there is neither reason nor time to go to EMT school during Med-School. Believe me you'll have plenty to do once you start. In fact, ask yourself that question again in the middle of gross and post your reply here. That would be fun to read. :D

Most EM clubs have shadowing opportunities at the local ED. Some also have ride-along programs with EMS squads.

allendo said:
I was just thinking it would help me get more EM exp. Does anyone have any insight into what I could do after my first year to increase my EM exp. I dont want to be a secretary in the EM checkin in PTs.

The best advice is to enjoy that time between first and second year. If you're anything like me, however, you'll likely ignore this advice (just like I did).

You might see if any of your local hospitals use ED techs. Many may require EMT cert, however. If you're interested in working during the remainder of school, this might be a reason to do the EMT course.

Way back when I was in college (mid-80s) I got a job as a monitor tech reading ECGs in the ICU. This was great experience and, although I was in paramedic school at the time, didn't require EMT cert. Perhaps something similiar is available in an ED near you.

This is really the only reason I can think of to get the EMT cert. Unless, of course, you're already eaten up by the EMS bug but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

Take care,
Jeff <- doing the best he can to listen to advice telling him to do nothing before July

allendo said:
Hey would it be a good Idea to try to get EMT cert while in med school? Could this help me in any way?

I don't see how learning to bandage a wound or apply a C-collar or an oxygen mask would put you at an advantage. You learn these things in Clinical Skills. If you want to do EMT things, then go shadow a physician in the ER, and I'm sure they will be more than happy to oblige. I've done more things in the ER as an MS-I than I ever did as a paramedic anyway.

There are some skills that paramedics do that aren't neccessarily taught in medical schools, but unless you are going to practice and gain experience, these things won't be of much use.

There is no time to do a 4-semester paramedic course in medical school, however.

OSUdoc08 said:
I don't see how learning to bandage a wound or apply a C-collar or an oxygen mask would put you at an advantage. You learn these things in Clinical Skills. If you want to do EMT things, then go shadow a physician in the ER, and I'm sure they will be more than happy to oblige. I've done more things in the ER as an MS-I than I ever did as a paramedic anyway...
There is no time to do a 4-semester paramedic course in medical school, however.

Wow. Lots of disagreement here! Seriously, though... the value of the EMT/paramedic experience stems from previous exposure to unpredictable situations. Paramedics and EMTs with several years in the field generally have some basic bedside manner skills and are not intimidated with standardized patient encounters and other similar things. To obtain an EMT cert during medical school is, as everyone else has suggested, completely unnecessary. Maybe I stole an extra intubation or two because of my previous 'time in the field,' but I find that it is much more common to be treated just like every other newbie/green around the gills medical student. On a more positive note, though, many schools offer ride-alongs with local EMS crews. That may whet your whistle a bit.

allendo said:

The EMT cert by itself is not that helpful. As Pushinepi alluded to, it's the experience that really counts rather than the certification. I know lots of folks who took an EMT class to beef up their med school application, but didn't practice much and have very little street sense. The fact is that in medical school you don't have time to do this as an EMT on the side.

As others have mentioned, you can get exposure by shadowing someone in the ER. Though it seems daunting to come up to a doc you don't know and ask to follow them, most would be glad to meet you and teach you things. Hook up with a doc at your school who is a medical director for an EMS. Likely they will be more than happy to let you ride along with their service. The upside is that you will get some experience and make some connections which will help you when it comes time to apply for and EM residency. The downside is that you will not likely have the responsibility and autonomy that you would have in the field if you were a medic not in medical school. Of course, we're medical students. We are used to having very little responsibility and no autonomy.

'zilla