Can I get in to PT school??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USP45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im new here, and in search of some input.

I recently graduated from Baylor University in Texas, and up until about a year ago, was interested in going to Dental School. After a bunch of shadowing, I realized it wasnt my thing, so I never applied. PT had much more of a "clinician-patient relationship" to it, and thats what I want.

I was a Psychology major, so fortunately many of the PT pre-req's are already accounted for. I am currently finishing up the required courses at a community college. So far, this is roughly where I stand:

Gen Bio 1: B
Gen Bio 2: C
Gen Chem 1:C
Gen Chem 2: C+
Anatomy/Phys 1: A
Anatomy/Phys 2: A
Physics 1: A
Physics 2: B
Intro Psych: B
Abnormal Psych: A
Statistics: A
Speech: A
Medical Terminology: A

The above are the courses that the majority of Texas PT schools want. My overall undergrad GPA from Baylor was a 3.25. Some schools have told me that they dont look at overall, but at the last 60 hours of credit. In my case, that is a good thing, because my last 60 hours GPA is like a 3.63 or so. Some of them also factor in the grades from community college, bringing my GPA higher.

I'm pretty well rounded extracurricularly, and I'll have a good amount of hours under my belt by the time apps are due, so I'm not too worried about that stuff. Im also pretty confident I can pull down a good score on the GRE, though only about half of the Texas schools require it. My interview and people skills are also good. Its those C's early on in my college career that worry me. They were from freshman/sophmore year, when I didnt really have any sense of direction or career goals.

I'm thinking about re-taking the Bio2 class that I got a C in. I have a full load this semester, so I wouldnt have room to retake any more than that. Lets say I retake the Bio class, get an A in it, leaving me two C's in the Chemistry courses. Will that kill my chances of getting in? I just wanted to get the input of some people here who may have experienced this, or know someone who has a similar situation.

Most of the advisors say something along the lines of: Well, the fact that you came from a more competitive university helps to offset the lower grades, and the fact that your grades improved steadily also helps. Obviously though, I want to have as strong an application as possible, so I'm still thinking about retaking the Bio C.

What do you guys think? Any input? advice? encouragement? Be honest, and thanks in advance!

GT

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Lets say I retake the Bio class, get an A in it, leaving me two C's in the Chemistry courses. Will that kill my chances of getting in?

Absolutely not. Obviously the higher your GPA the better, but you have a solid last 60 hours and, except for those 3 C's, solid grades on the other pre-req's. Add a competitive GRE score and I wouldn't be too worried. In fact, I'd say you would be better off studying for the GRE rather than retaking the bio class. It wouldn't bump your GPA up much anyway.

I had 3 C's in science classes (bio 1 lec/lab, and chem 1) from my freshman year, too, and I got into PT school.

Gather all the information/opinions/etc as you can and decide for yourself, but I think you will do just fine. Good luck!

when I was in undergrad, my advisor told me not to even bother to apply to PT school. Given my overall GPA was low (3.05) but my prereq's were about 3.6-3.7. I learned never let someone else dictate what you want in life. If you want to be a PT, do what you can to make your application diverse.

But, volunteer...rock your GRE's...I volunteered a ton and did extremely well on my GRE's and the schools that gave me interviews and accepted me (I got into 3 programs-so I am glad I did not listen to my advisor) openly told me that they were impressed with my volunteering and gre scores...basically, do what you can to get yourself an interview...this will allow to you show your love of the profession...plus, it does not hurt to apply as you'll never know!!!

Good luck!:luck::luck::luck:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think your grades are bad at all! I definitely had my share of C's in the pre-reqs. I agree with PTbecomingDDS to focus on making everything else really good (GRE scores, volunteer experience, etc).

Hey guys just thought I would update on this.

I ended up getting interviews at three Texas PT schools, got accepted to two of them, waitlisted at the other, and will be starting PT school at the end of this month.

I interviewed at Texas Tech, Hardin Simmonds, and Angelo State

I got in to Tech and ASU, waitlisted at HSU

I was offered a large scholarship for ASU, so thats where I am going.

I figured I would post this in case anybody else out there has similar statistics to mine and is wondering about possible admittance. Now I dont know FOR SURE because I wasnt able to sit in on the admission committees of course, but heres what I have to ASSUME helped me out the most.

-My grades werent great, but I had a TON of experience. Thousands of hours working in a reputable clinic with a solid letter from my boss.

-Lots of extracurriculars that were well rounded from sports to church to volunteer work

-People skills. I was confident, polite, well spoken, and professional. In talking to most of the people that interviewed on the same day as I did, I felt like I had quite a bit of an advantage in this area. They werent bad necessarily, they just didnt seem as confident or sure of their abilities. I feel that a confident, strong interview goes a long way.

Good luck to anyone out there in a similar position, and thanks for the advice and input.

Congrats USP! I had the same doubts you had and similar grades. I was accepted to 4 out of 6 schools and the 2 schools that rejected me didn't do interviews! I agree, I think the interview saved me against other people who looked great on paper. I also know a guy at my current undergrad who is attending one of the schools I was rejected from....He has no social skills and could not talk his way out of a paper bag. In fact, he's unfriendly, but he also has a 4.0. I hope they enjoy him hahaha!

Thanks for updating!

I've been looking around the boards and was wondering about getting into PT programs in Texas since I'm in Dallas. I just have to finish up my prereqs beforehand.

Also, did you take any courses at a community college? I was thinking about taking some because the hours are better for me (currently, I'm working full time but it might change in the next year or so).

Good luck with PT!