Can I get into a BS/MD program?

ap103

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a Junior in a very competitive highschool and want to go to a seven year BS/MD program. My stats are:
GPA (unweighted): 3.688
GPA(weighted): 4.866
SAT: 2150
Class Rank (weighted): 36
APs: Chem, Enviro, U.S history, English 3, World History, Psychology, Calculus AB/BC
E.C: treasurer of Engineering club, Second place winner of the state TSA medical technology competition, 3 year member of Key Club, 200+ hours of volunteer work at the Boys and Girls Club, a month of shadowing a cardiologist, a month of shadowing an anesthesiologist, National Honor Society, Member of the school orchestra, Soccer for 5 years (before highschool...does that help?)

Is that good enough to get into any? If so, which ones?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thats a lot more than I did in high school. And a lot more than the people I know who got into the BA/MD program in my state.

I say you have a good shot.

A very competitive high school? :confused:

That sounds like plenty to get into a BS/MD program, but your SAT score is probably on the low end for the more competitive ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in BS/MD programs as well and I have a question. If your school doesn't offer AP classes, but you still take the test for one or two of the easier ones will this look good, or will it look the same as someone else whose school offered AP classes and they took the same tests? How about if you don't take any tests for the same reason? Will this be looked down upon?

I am interested in BS/MD programs as well and I have a question. If your school doesn't offer AP classes, but you still take the test for one or two of the easier ones will this look good, or will it look the same as someone else whose school offered AP classes and they took the same tests? How about if you don't take any tests for the same reason? Will this be looked down upon?

I can't say this with any kind of special knowledge, but my experience with sort of stuff would be that it wouldn't be viewed equally as someone taking the AP class. The AP class in themselves are often more telling about what the student is capable of handling/excelling at than the test alone since the test only shows you a one time score (with only 5 possible grades at that...most one-time tests like the SAT/MCAT,ACT give you much more range in their scores).

This isn't to say that it wouldn't go unnoticed if you did well in the test, but I wouldn't expect it to be a major point of interest either way.

You're not a strong candidate for the Brown PLME program mainly because of numbers. Your GPA and SAT are both on the lower end.

You are likely a pretty good BS/MD candidate at some other schools.

Hi,
I am a Junior in a very competitive highschool and want to go to a seven year BS/MD program. My stats are:
APs: Chem, Enviro, U.S history, English 3, World History, Psychology, Calculus AB/BC
E.C: treasurer of Engineering club, Second place winner of the state TSA medical technology competition, 3 year member of Key Club, 200+ hours of volunteer work at the Boys and Girls Club, a month of shadowing a cardiologist, a month of shadowing an anesthesiologist, National Honor Society, Member of the school orchestra, Soccer for 5 years (before highschool...does that help?)

Thanks

I say apply. But don't put all your eggs in one basket. Send apps to a few schools and also apply to some schools just for regular undergrad admission b/c you may get scholarship at some schools with those numbers in undergrad.

Hi,

Thanks

Your GPA is pretty strong. Your SAT is a bit weak unfortunately--that being said apply where you can--my brother got into a BS/MD program and he had an SAT around the same range.

The clinical/volunteering experience is all a big plus, so are all the other extracurriculars.