Can I get student loans if I filed for Bankruptcy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dreammona

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a house that I can't get rid of and am in med school so I'm screwed. Will filing for bankruptcy affect my future of getting private student loans even if my dad who has good credit co-signs with me? I read somewhere that it's illegal for private lenders to discriminate you purely on the fact that you have filled for bankruptcy as long as you have a good cosigner. I, like the rest of the economy, is pretty screwed right now...

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's prefectly legal (and good business) to discriminate based upon bankruptcy history (for private loans.) Gotta love Federal student loans, however, which do not discriminate baased upon credit history, however....

Whether they accept your cosignor is up to them. It also may dictate the terms of the loan (i.e. higher interest.)

Best of luck to you....

I wouldn't just be worrying about the student loans. I'd be worrying about every loan, credit card, mortgage, rent, or car payment in the future. As was said previously, you don't have to worry about federal staffords, but I'd try to avoid bankruptcy if at all possible. Can you find people to rent out the place to? Is the house near a university?