Can I get to 515?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wow-Zero

Reaction score
Hi,
I just took the first full length practice test from aamc and got a 503, I got a 123 (26th percentile) in phych/soc because I haven't started studying those yet. I'm taking the test on May 16. Is it possible to get to 515+ considering I'm also studying full time?
I got 126 in cars and chem/physics and 128 in bio.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I just took the first full length practice test from aamc and got a 503, I got a 123 (26th percentile) in phych/soc because I haven't started studying those yet. I'm taking the test on May 16. Is it possible to get to 515+ considering I'm also studying full time?
I got 126 in cars and chem/physics and 128 in bio.
Any advice would be appreciated!

Hey there!
So studying full-time is going to be a challenge, but you've got three months so if you use your time very effectively then I think you can make it. I personally got a 516 in the two times that I took the MCAT (different distributions in each one).
You seem to be good at Bio, so improving your score will probably rest on getting more of the small details studied. For chem, same idea, just do more and more studying and practice.

CARS is a challenge to improve, but not impossible at all. I went from a 126 to a 128 by doing a few things. First off, CARS should be an everyday thing. This could include doing practices, reading articles and practicing highlighting, or going through whatever prep book you have for CARS. I personally subscribed to the Economist (using their 12 issues for 12 dollars trial) and would read through all the articles and practice highlighting important stuff and critically analyzing the info. Then I used NextStep's 108 CARS passages to build up stamina and train to do passages in 10 to 12 mins max. Finally I did whatever few passages that TPR gives you, all of Khan Academy's mediocre CARS, and completed all the AAMC passages. NS,TPR, and KA arent great at emulating the AAMC's style, but for stamina, I found them very valuable.

Psych/soc is just stuff you learn in 1st year psych plus a bunch of sociology. Make some flash card and barrel through them over a long period of time and you should be able to hit 129.

Overall, I think 515 is doable, but you just need to be on top of your time. However, your 503 is basically telling you that you're still missing some fundamental science knowledge, specifically your chem/phys, so try to cover that and then work on building the ability to see patterns/shortcuts in questions.

Reactions: 1 user
From my first practice test to the MCAT, my CARS and Psyc/soci improved by 5 points each, and bio and chem/phys by a combined 5 points, so total 15 point gain.

Mo dropped in some absolutely great general advice. I will try to be complementary and not redundant. With a good plan, what do you expect to be roadblocks on your road to 515? What does the rest of your life look like? What have you struggled with in the past?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors