can I have a pet at vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkq202

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to have a pet during undergrad, since they don't allow them for many reasons. I was hoping when I got to vet school I'd be able to get a dog. Is it easy to keep a pet in vet school? Do you have time for it? Is it too expensive? Can you bring them to the school's hospital during the day if you need to? Any potential problems with it? Do you get discounts if you bring them to school for treatment/checkups?

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been able to have a pet during undergrad, since they don't allow them for many reasons. I was hoping when I got to vet school I'd be able to get a dog. Is it easy to keep a pet in vet school? Do you have time for it?

I have two dogs in vet school. They're pretty laid back, so it's easy to keep them. I wouldn't recommend getting a high energy breed unless you plan on running with them or taking them to the dog park every day. The only thing I'm worried about is the long hours when I'm in clinics, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Is it too expensive? Do you get discounts if you bring them to school for treatment/checkups?

I don't find it too expensive. One of my dogs is aggressive towards all other dogs but his brother, so it's hard that I can't drop them at a friend's house when I go out of town, so boarding gets kind of expensive. But other than that it hasn't been too bad. We do get a discount here at UTK, and I've found the price of care really reasonable. There's also a vaccine clinic in the spring and fall, which is an even greater discount.

Can you bring them to the school's hospital during the day if you need to? Any potential problems with it?

I don't know about bringing them during the day. I guess it depends on how much space there is in the hospital. Most people who got new pups that they were housebreaking just came home during lunch to walk them. I know they do offer boarding for students, but I don't know the cost. I take them to another vet hospital closer to my house. I think they have bad feelings towards the vet school, since they've gotten so much stuff done there. (Both my dogs have had reasons to be there since I started vet school.) So I take them to a local clinic that does boarding.

Hope this helps!

I know that at MN you CAN bring your pets in (to board, it's about $2 a day or something like that) but at WI you CANNOT. I'm planning on having my cocker spaniel, but my mom lives in the city, so any crazy weeks I'll be shuttling Lily off to her.

I've heard that having a pet keeps you sane in school though ... maybe try rescuing an already house broken dog? also .... there was a thread somewhere in the vet student section that discussed what you "get" from each of the schools. It seems like food is pretty cheap everywhere (if not free) but cost of treatment is all over the board.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with all the above, and think pets keep one sane while in school. I know many vets that had pets during school, but it's of course easier if you have roomates or a spouse. But I definately wouldn't try to get a puppy. There's just not sufficient time to really train a puppy or come home frequently enough to let him out. If you are looking for a specific breed, try searching that breed's rescue orgs, they are usually pretty good at matching a specific dog to your lifestyle, and they are often housebroken and at least partially trained.

yeah I was thinking of getting a dog that was already housebroken, I don't care if it's not a puppy.

Last edited:
I can't think of anyone I know who lived in school housing during graduate or vet school unless they're an RA or something...

I know one vet student that lives in married student housing, but all of the others have apartments or live in rental houses... or own a house, usually with a spouse. So, don't assume that you *have* to live on campus. You have options!