Can I help with disaster relief as a physician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BostonEmergencyMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I posted a question about the role of NPs and PAs in emergency medicine. Everyone was very helpful and answered my question fully. Thank you so much.

I have one more question though, sorry =[.

I've always wanted to join an organization like the Red Cross, and volunteer my services when a natural disaster hits the United States. I would love to help a community recover from something like Katrina or Sandy.
However with the busy schedule doctors have, especially EM physicians, I was wondering if something like this is possible?

I know organizations that employ physicians full time like MSF, or Doctors Without Borders exist -- and I've considered doing that for a short time. But once I'm settled down with a family, can I honestly sign up for something like the Red Cross?

Can I take like an early vacation to respond to those disasters? I'd be willing to forfeit my sick days.

I'm sorry if this question sounds stupid. Before I discovered my love for medicine I wanted to be a firefighter. I guess I just like responding to people in times of crisis. ITS EXCITING

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.

May require trade offs with your job and personal/family life depending on how much you want to do.

They'll be happy to have you work. Your job might not be happy to let you leave.
Yes, plenty of people do it. That's how these organizations exist.