Can I list one activity as both work and volunteer experiences ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UES Girl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked for a program this summer teaching science to underprivileged kids, chemistry, biology, physics. I was hired to teach 3 hours a day five days a week and my responsibilities included lesson planning/teaching, assigning homework, grading homework, writing tests and such. So officially, I worked 15 hours a week. However, I got really emotionally involved into this program and started to put in a lot of work - sometimes as much as 40 + hours a week, working as a mentor and tutor individually with several kids, helping them plan their college careers, talking about life and helping them chose a right path for themselves, helping them do homework or develop study habits.

The unofficial volunteering I have done heavily outweighs all the official hours that I have worked. I feel like that because I put in so much extra time and poured my heart and soul into this program I should be able to put this as an EC in addition to a work experience.

What are your guys thoughts ?

Has anyone had any similar experiences ?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why you couldn't put it down as both. Under work experience you can put how many hours you worked there and the duties you were paid to do. Then in the volunteer section put how many addition hours and state the additional things you did. I think when someone looks at your application they should be able to differentiate the two. Also, if they ask you about it, you can obviously explain! It actually would be a good experience to share. I was actually volunteering at a hospital, and after 2 months they wanted to hire me after finding out I was a technician. So I am also going to have the same place in volunteering and work, different dates of course, but sort of similar in a sense.

Last edited:
I would say you could put it as both, although you would definitely need to explain it on the app. I would go about mentioning the time devoted to it and in the work section I would only list the 15 hours of work as teaching/tutoring and then list the rest as volunteering as a mentor.

I have a similar issue. I am a poll worker for the Florida Elections and while its a paid position, thats not why I do it. I put it down as work experience and explained myself.