Can I match at a large academic Peds Hospital?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shackl3ton

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm interested in intensive care research and practice at an academic center and was wondering if it was realistic for me? I'm not trying to go to Hopkins or CHOP necessarily... Also of note: I have a lot of friends matching in different specialties and we all are trying to match in Philly. This makes St. Chris' a top choice for me and am particularly curious if I could match there (hopefully, yes...)

USMLE Step1: 226 (my weakness)
USMLE Step2: Taking in August
Rotations: Passed Peds, OB, and IM. The HP in FM. Honors in Neuro, Psyc. And HP Surg. I continued to improve throughout the year on my shelf exams. Now about to Honor my "acting internship" in the NICU.
Key strengths: 1. strong letters from the program director, NICU director, and PICU director
2. strong research at Pittsburgh (UPMC) and UCSD
3. a very personable attitude (or so I think haha)
4. aways at my top locations!

Some of my desired locations:
St Chris' (my #1 - doing a peds cards away here)
DC National
Baylor
UTSw (doing a PICU away here)
Wash U @St.L
Jefferson/Dupont
Nationwide Children's/Ohio State (my home city)

Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a strong application. Baylor and DC might have slightly higher step 1 averages, but if you have any publications I could see you getting an interview, at which point you have a shot. I think the other programs are all well within your reach; nobody can guess your chances at any one particular program, but in general I think you would be competitive at programs of similar caliber.

How important is this in peds?
Generally not. However, the programs I was talking about are quite academic-heavy and generally have higher step 1 scores than the OP, so they're probably a bit of a reach. It's certainly possible that the rest of the application could get him an interview anyways, but having publications might be particularly helpful at those programs.

Reactions: 1 user