Can I Push Back MCAT Retake and Not Be Negatively Affected This Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreMed030

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took MCAT in April, received a score of 510 (129 C/P, 128 CARS, 127 B/B, 126 P/P), and am planning on retaking sometime this July. Now considering pushing pack retake date to August/September due to not having adequate time to study because of full-time job just starting. Applying this cycle and have primary application almost completed and will be submitting with current MCAT score at/around June 13th.

Is there any way I can be negatively affected in terms of admission chances by pushing my MCAT re-take to August/September given my current aim to apply this cycle? I am also currently pre-writing secondaries. I am a NC resident hoping to be competitive for in-state MD schools with my MCAT score and shooting for the 513-515 range.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will not read your application or move you to complete if you indicate you have an MCAT test in the future until after you take the test and they receive your score. This would obviously hurt you since you wouldn't be complete til like October if you took the test in September.

You scored fine though. If you're really worried, you might weigh the risks and benefits of not saying you have an MCAT test in the future and then update them on the score when you do get it back. Some schools may already make a decision on your file by then, especially if you take in September and get the score back in October.