Can I shadow a Resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Karabo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can I include my shadowing experiences with a Chief Resident on AMCAS? I already have shadowing with Attending Physicians, but I also want to include the shadowing that I did with this Resident (different specialty). Residents are Physicians, but not Attendings, so I'm not sure how adcoms look at this.

Members don't see this ad.

Can I include my shadowing experiences with a Chief Resident on AMCAS? I already have shadowing with Attending Physicians, but I also want to include the shadowing that I did with this Resident (different specialty). Residents are Physicians, but not Attendings, so I'm not sure how adcoms look at this.
This is fine, but it should not represent a dominant portion of your overall shadowing experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I shadowed only residents during undergrad and gained more experience than others. It's up to you to be obseratory and make your experience persuasive in ps amd interview. Communication skills matter, not the position of your shadowers.

That's fine. I indirectly shadowed residents (the attending who agreed to let me shadow was busy and assigned me to a resident) and it was a pretty great experience. Residents can relate easily to your app stress and provide unique stuff to talk about.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all for your input and advice! I'm glad that I can include this experience on my AMCAS because I got a lot out of my shadowing experience.