Can I still get into OT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babygirl476

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to apply in the Fall to USA in Mobile, AL. They require a 3.00 gpa. I'm finising up my final semester for my bachelor's degree in psychology on tomorrow and right it's looks like my final gpa could be anywhere from a 2.98-3.00. My pre-reqs gpa is over the 3.00 mark. Do you think that would hinder me from getting in if my gpa ends up being a 2.98 or 2.99? I am completing observation hours whenever I have PTO on my full-time job and I took extra courses to get points added to my application. I'm a little worried now. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think that it depends on the other applicants for that year. You also have observation hours which is great, so get some good recommendations and write a great personal statement! It all does not depend on the GPA, especially the overall gpa. The prereq gpa is more important. Good luck!

I agree with Amanda however, a 3.0 over all GPA is usually the cutoff.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed, it's an issue of competition at this point.
what area do you live in? how many schools are in this area?
the more schools, the better the chances that seats aren't filled yet.
good luck.

I live in Pensacola, FL the closest school is University of South Alabama in Mobile. (where I plan to apply). Next to that is FAMU in Tallahassee and University of Florida in Gainesville. I really don't want to move to Tallahassee or Gainesville. So USA is my only option at this point. They require a minimum 3.0 cummulative and then a minimum 3.0 for pre-reqs, 800 minimum on GRE and then you get extra points for additional class on their list and getting so many observation hours.

Dont 4 get Nova SE.
FIU may only have a OTD for those w/ a MA already... but Nova may be helpful ... they may still have a few classes online.. i looked at them a lot some 8-9 years ago...

I'm planning to apply in the Fall to USA in Mobile, AL. They require a 3.00 gpa. I'm finising up my final semester for my bachelor's degree in psychology on tomorrow and right it's looks like my final gpa could be anywhere from a 2.98-3.00. My pre-reqs gpa is over the 3.00 mark. Do you think that would hinder me from getting in if my gpa ends up being a 2.98 or 2.99? I am completing observation hours whenever I have PTO on my full-time job and I took extra courses to get points added to my application. I'm a little worried now. :(

HI!

I know you posted a while back, so I hope you will see this. Please, don't waste your money on OT school at University of South Alabama. Go look at the homepage of their website! They have graduated less than 50 OT's in 3 years.....That is a horrible retention rate!

I am in the program now, and it is the worst experience ever! I decided on this program because it was cheaper than Florida programs....oh, if I had known what was coming, I would've forked over the extra cash in a second!

The first year most things are taught by a bipolar woman who is the worst teacher ever. You will be expected to teach yourself how to do therapy from a picture in a book while she sits on a folding chair in lab doing nothing.....the lectures consist of this woman reading a powerpoint straight from the slide and the tests are just on everything in these slides and in the book...I'm talking 8 chapters of neuroscience without any guidance as to what to study!

Be warned, this woman's philosophy is that all students are at school to "pay dues," and she teaches almost EVERYTHING first year! Go to a school with a better rep....If I had known about this, I would have NEVER applied here. There is a reason for the dismal graduation rate from this program, trust me.....However, if you like dealing with a nutcase who can't teach and feel you can teach yourself therapy based on pictures in a textbook, then go ahead and apply. You might love it and be one of the rare students to make it through this OT school of torture!

HI!

I know you posted a while back, so I hope you will see this. Please, don't waste your money on OT school at University of South Alabama. Go look at the homepage of their website! They have graduated less than 50 OT's in 3 years.....That is a horrible retention rate!

I am in the program now, and it is the worst experience ever! I decided on this program because it was cheaper than Florida programs....oh, if I had known what was coming, I would've forked over the extra cash in a second!

The first year most things are taught by a bipolar woman who is the worst teacher ever. You will be expected to teach yourself how to do therapy from a picture in a book while she sits on a folding chair in lab doing nothing.....the lectures consist of this woman reading a powerpoint straight from the slide and the tests are just on everything in these slides and in the book...I'm talking 8 chapters of neuroscience without any guidance as to what to study!

Be warned, this woman's philosophy is that all students are at school to "pay dues," and she teaches almost EVERYTHING first year! Go to a school with a better rep....If I had known about this, I would have NEVER applied here. There is a reason for the dismal graduation rate from this program, trust me.....However, if you like dealing with a nutcase who can't teach and feel you can teach yourself therapy based on pictures in a textbook, then go ahead and apply. You might love it and be one of the rare students to make it through this OT school of torture!
Can you send me an e-mail or something and tell me more about their program? I would like to know more about what I'm getting in to.

Can you send me an e-mail or something and tell me more about their program? I would like to know more about what I'm getting in to.
As a student in this program I can assure you that it is difficult however Lexi is going way over the top. My guess is that he/she is someone who recently failed out or was about to fail out at the time of this post. Lexi obviously has no understanding of the term retention rate. Lexi is correct that in that time frame less than 50 OT students graduated, 46 to be exact. However there was only about 50 or 51 students who began the program over that time meaning there is a retention rate of about 90-92%. In addition of those 46, 43 passed the NBCOT exam on the first attempt (94%) which is well above the national average. Neuroscience is tough, however I would not let the opinion of one jaded student deter you from attending.

I assure you the program is difficult but it is not an "OT school of torture" and it will provide you with a quality education.