Can I still get my license?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted150551

I started my doctoral program in 1997. I completed all my coursework and internship on time, but due to building a family, my dissertation was not completed until 2007. Due to being a full-time stay at home mother, I didn't do a post-doc. In my current state of residence, without the post-doc training hours, I couldn't apply for my license. I've been completely out of the game for 5 years.

I've sent my youngest off to kindergarten and need to return to my career now. Will be moving to Maryland, where I have learned that I can be licensed without a post-doctoral internship year AS LONG AS I meet the requirements for training hours, which I do. However, those hours go range from 1999 through to 2003. I am in contact with the institutions and supervisors, so getting documentation that those hours were completed will not be a problem. But I just don't know if there are "expiration dates" per se on training hours. Will those hours no longer count toward my licensing requirements? Or can I still use them to become licensed? Do the recent changes in Maryland licensing laws have any restrictions on how far back the training hours can go and/or years of inactivity since they were accrued?

(It goes without saying that I'm rusty and would still choose to be supervised closely as I re-enter, but that will be easier if I have my license -- other psychologists would be more willing to take me on if they can get reimbursed for my work. Furthermore, while I have not been practicing directly, I have made sure to continue my training by attending workshops and conferences on a very regular basis).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd imagine this is going to vary by state, so contacting MD's licensing board directly might be the best way to go. I believe some states (e.g., GA, if I'm remembering correctly) have a limit on how far out from graduating you can obtain post-doc hours and still be license-eligible, but I don't think all states are that way. If MD doesn't require post-doc hours, then I'd imagine verifying with them that you completed your degree (including the however many hours of pre-doc internship they require) should be sufficient. But again, contacting their board is probably your best bet.

I'd imagine this is going to vary by state, so contacting MD's licensing board directly might be the best way to go. I believe some states (e.g., GA, if I'm remembering correctly) have a limit on how far out from graduating you can obtain post-doc hours and still be license-eligible, but I don't think all states are that way. If MD doesn't require post-doc hours, then I'd imagine verifying with them that you completed your degree (including the however many hours of pre-doc internship they require) should be sufficient. But again, contacting their board is probably your best bet.

I agree that contacting MD's board is the best way to go.

Though, I'm confused about MD not requiring additional hours for licensure... I have lived and worked in MD, and I seem to remember all of the postdocs not being eligible for licensure (or taking the EPPP) until at least a year post-degree. I didn't pay too much attention, since I wasn't yet at that stage of my career, but are you sure that Maryland doesn't require post-doc work?

Yes, I'm sure. It's a very recent change. They still require the same amount of clinical practice hours and supervision as they always did, however, now those hours can be done pre- or post-. That means some students will have gotten them done during their doctoral training, others will need to complete them post-doc. Only the "when" is what has changed.