can IM LOR be used for EM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

traitorman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An IM PD who I asked earlier in my 3rd year to write me an LOR told me how the letter included a lot about my character with examples, etc... but I believe the letter is definitely geared towards IM (since at the time I was considering IM). Can I use this letter along with SLOEs I obtain from my EM auditions?

Will EM programs think I'm hedging my bets? Im also curious how it looks if this is the first letter seen by programs before my SLOEs come in.

Members don't see this ad.

You need at least two EM SLOEs for your ERAS file but whatever LORs you have from other specialities that makes you stand out do help give an overall picture to the interviewers. You can submit up to four LORs so pick wisely.

Personally, I did just fine with 2 SLOE and two IM letters. I've heard that IM letters are typically viewed favorably because program directors know that everyone has to do at least some IM in medical school, and it is typically a lengthy rotation that requires a lot of hard work. As far as the letter being "geared toward IM", unless it specifically states "Traitorman will make a great internal medicine doctor", it should probably be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think it definitely will say something along the lines of "traitorman will make a great internal medicine doctor" O_O

i think it definitely will say something along the lines of "traitorman will make a great internal medicine doctor" O_O

I wouldn't use it then. Can't you ask him to print out another copy but substitute in "emergency medicine doctor" ?

One of my letters was from an IM dept chair and I seem to remember it being mentioned once or twice on my interviews. The rest were EM. If you think it would help your app, it's never a bad idea. I found the best way to approach it is to just be candid with the letter writers. I think I even said to the IM guy something along the lines of "Do you feel comfortable writing me a strong letter of rec to an EM application? I value your opinion and think a letter from you would carry a lot of weight, etc.. ". Most of my letter writers were candid back and you can easily tell that way if they are going to write good letters or not, for the most part. Virtually all these guys will write letters and are used to people asking them. You need to have a close enough relationship to feel comfortable being candid because hey... this is your application and you don't want them putting something in that that's going to screw your chances. Otherwise, I see no problem with an IM letter but obviously you need EM letters to comprise most of them. My letters were a point of conversation in at least half of my interviews, so good letters def carry some weight. I had one that basically said "If you guys don't want him, we'll take him." that I knew nothing about until interviewing with my 1st choice program who happened to mention it and made me very glad that I had meticulously approached each letter writer and tried to optimize my ability to get a strong letter. Good luck.

Ask the IM doctor to update the letter knowing that you are going into EM.
If you had a good relationship with this person, they should have no problem with that.

thanks for the response guys. unfortunately, I won't be able to ask. maybe i can add it as my last letter once I get my SLOEs

For what it's worth, I used a letter from my family medicine preceptor as one of my letters. My others consisted of two SLOEs and one regular LOR from an EM physician. I knew it was going to be a strong letter and he was well informed that I was applying to EM and told me he would write it as such. No one commented on it one way or the other, except one assistant PD who asked why I was using an FM letter if I was applying to EM. It threw me for a loop since I knew it was a strong letter. I just tried to defend it by saying I knew that preceptor knew my personality and work ethic well, etc. So if you are using a non-EM letter, be prepared to be asked about it, even if it is only one person on the interview trail.