Can Invisalign potentially cause mild gum recession?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dentalGator

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been on Invisalign for about 2.5 months now and when I went for my semi-annual cleaning my general dentist noticed I had a narrow 1mm gum recession on the lingual side of both of my mandibular central incisors, when she told me this I was pretty upset. She said she did not notice it 6 months ago and said the bone surrounding my teeth are strong and to keep a close eye on it (she made it seem like it wasn't a big deal, but being a future dental professional and knowing I take good care of my teeth hearing this made me pretty confused/mad). Knowing that gum recession can only be halted and not reversed I've been finding reasons for why this is happening on Dr. Google as this recession is minor but it has only occurred on those two teeth mentioned above. I became semi-paranoid wondering if I have some hidden systemic disease causing this issue. I don't have gingivitis, no cavities in over 10 years and my gums are pink and don't bleed when I brush/floss so I was essentially like WTF is causing this?

When I look at my teeth with my invisalign on I notice there is a tiny bit of space between the aligner trays so that they aren't rubbing against your gum line. But when I looked closely at my bottom front teeth on the back I noticed the part of the invisalign tray extends about .75 mm below the gum line. I am thinking that the pressure from the trays caused my gums to recede in the spot they are overextended at, which is exactly where the 1mm tapered/narrow root exposure is located. There is zero recession in all of my other teeth (The plastic from the trays don't extend beyond the gum line in those teeth). I have scheduled an appointment with the ortho and am going to ask him if he can trim that part of the tray because it is the only part of both of my aligners that extends beyond the gum line. This is the only logical explanation I can come up with to as why this is occurring. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.