Can letters of interest get you in trouble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuroprotector

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting antsy. It's been a while, and I still haven't heard from any schools. I've been reading about the wonders of letters of interest from other SDN threads, and I think I want to give it a try. Is it legit to send a letter of interest (not intent, I know that's bad) to more than one school? There's some that I really, really want to go to.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it's fine. Ask yourself if it's wrong to praise each school that you interview at.

It will almost never ever hurt. So send them off and good luck!

I don't have any answers, but I do have some questions (sorry). What exactly is a letter of interest? Can you send one without including updates (jobs/publications)? Do you send it snail mail or email or what? I would like to send one to some select schools also, but do they actually read them? Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't had any interviews yet...I got my secondaries in on time, but I had a very late LOR.

My impression is that a letter of interest is just that, and can be distinguished from a letter of intent by its non-binding nature. You basically write to a school to indicate that you have more than passing interest in it. Do a search on SDN; there's a lot of good threads on it.

That said, I still have no idea what I should do.

I don't have any answers, but I do have some questions (sorry). What exactly is a letter of interest? Can you send one without including updates (jobs/publications)? Do you send it snail mail or email or what? I would like to send one to some select schools also, but do they actually read them? Thanks for the advice!
You can send a letter of interest without an update if you want, but if you do have something to update your app with, it's best to send it as part of a letter of interest instead of sending them two letters to deal with.

As for the OP, I don't know what you're still confused about. It's perfectly fine to sing praises for different schools (applicants do it all the time at each interview they go to and in each secondary they write) and it's hardly the same thing as promising more than one school that you'll matriculate if given the chance.

My impression is that a letter of interest is just that, and can be distinguished from a letter of intent by its non-binding nature. You basically write to a school to indicate that you have more than passing interest in it. Do a search on SDN; there's a lot of good threads on it.

That said, I still have no idea what I should do.

It is probably a little different for residencies but I wrote a letter of interest to a residency that didn't appear as if they were going to give me an interview and I ended up matching there.

do you think it is ok to send a letter of interest (not intent) post interview?

I think this depends on the school. Albany, for one, states explicitly that they don't want letters of update or interest or anything further from you after they get the secondary unless they ask. Their site says they will neither acknowledge them nor add them to your file if you send them by any means (email, mail or whatever).

I think this depends on the school. Albany, for one, states explicitly that they don't want letters of update or interest or anything further from you after they get the secondary unless they ask. Their site says they will neither acknowledge them nor add them to your file if you send them by any means (email, mail or whatever).

yeah i have seen that on albany's website...but i am talking about a different school and I have something to update them on and it is post interview...So iwanted to know if i can send the update with a paragraph about my interest in the school