Can LPCs work independently in Illinois?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMan99

Family Medicine Attending (DO)
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting a new medical practice. I'm a physician. In a former life I was also a NCC and a LPC and I still have both of those certifications in Illinois. I am hiring a counselor who is going to do some counseling for my patients but she works as an independent contractor. We do not accept any insurance.

Here's my question: Can my a NCC, LPC legally see patients for counseling independently in Illinois? Or do they need to be "supervised"?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not well versed in this at all. My understanding is that the LPC is the provisional license and the LCPC (Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor ) is the advanced/higher license. In SW we cannot practice independently until we have the higher/clinical/independent/(insert word) license so I am assuming that it is the same for LPC's? Based off of my limited knowledge, if the LPC does not have the higher license, then no, she cannot see folks independently. Maybe somebody who actually knows what they are talking about will chime in.

http://www.counselor-license.com/states/illinois-counselor-license.html

I think, and you may want to speak to your contractor about this, but if she is just a contract employee, she is going to have to provide her own supervision of site. You do not have to supervise her on site. Every state is different, and in my state it LPCs can practice "mostly independently" but they should have access to a higher level clinician to discuss cases with. This is different in every state, so just be aware that some states have weird quirky rules. In my understanding of the situation, LPCs are similar to PA's, in that the verbiage of their license claims they are not "completely independent" but need some type of working relationship with a higher level practitioner. In reality I am not sure how this plays out.