Can MCAT Compensate for a C-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TurkDorian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I received a C- in my first year Physics course (which was an anomaly compared to the rest of my transcript). However, on the physical sciences section, I got a 12. I was wondering if I should still retake physics (I know I can now get an A) or if the 12 in physical science is enough to show that I know the concepts for schools that require physics as a pre-requisite

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools don't accept grades lower than C in pre-reqs. This information will be displayed on the school's website. MCAT is not a substitute for GPA, strictly speaking, but it can kind of substitute for a weaker cGPA: for example, a student with a 3.6 and a 35 is probably as competitive as a student with a 3.8 and 33.

Reactions: 3 users
Some schools don't accept grades lower than C in pre-reqs. This information will be displayed on the school's website. MCAT is not a substitute for GPA, strictly speaking, but it can kind of substitute for a weaker cGPA: for example, a student with a 3.6 and a 35 is probably as competitive as a student with a 3.8 and 33.
Thanks! I'll check out the school websites

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't waste my time or my money re-taking unless a lot of the schools you're looking at won't accept it.
If people are telling you that anything in the C range is a game ender, they don't know what they're talking about.

Reactions: 1 users

I believe EVERY medical school (MD and DO) requires at least a C or higher in every single pre-req class. You have to retake that C- in order for the class to count. But as long as your overall GPAs are solid, individual bad grades won't hurt you.

I think a C- is a C

It certainly isn't lower than a C. That would be a D

Do they even do C- in college? I thought that was a middle/high school thing

You might want to ask these schools you're applying to but I really doubt you'd have to retake the course.

As others have mentioned, the MCAT and GPA are two different things.

I think a C- is a C

It certainly isn't lower than a C. That would be a D

Do they even do C- in college? I thought that was a middle/high school thing

You might want to ask these schools you're applying to but I really doubt you'd have to retake the course.

Absolutely.

Most colleges use the standard +/- system. I've seen people get C-, D+, and even D-.

Absolutely.

Most colleges use the standard +/- system. I've seen people get C-, D+, and even D-.

I'm at a loss. I had transcripts from four colleges when I applied and none of them used a +/- system

I'm at a loss. I had transcripts from four colleges when I applied and none of them used a +/- system

Really? There are definitely schools that don't use the +/- system, but I think they are definitely in the minority.

Reactions: 1 users
Really? There are definitely schools that don't use the +/- system, but I think they are definitely in the minority.

This is where I'm going with that thought. To think that I managed to go through 4 of such institutions led me to believe that the +/- system was rare or nonexistent in higher level education.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe EVERY medical school (MD and DO) requires at least a C or higher in every single pre-req class. You have to retake that C- in order for the class to count. But as long as your overall GPAs are solid, individual bad grades won't hurt you.

I had at least 1 C- on my transcript for a pre-req. I assure you that I never re-took that class.
Obviously whether or not to is up to the OP's discretion, but to say that it is 100% necessary 100% of the time is blatantly false.

Edit to add: then again, my experience is not necessarily universal. but in my opinion the time spent re-taking the class would probably be better spent taking a higher-level class if the OP is so inclined, but really even that probs isn't necessary.

I had at least 1 C- on my transcript for a pre-req. I assure you that I never re-took that class.
Obviously whether or not to is up to the OP's discretion, but to say that it is 100% necessary 100% of the time is blatantly false.

Edit to add: then again, my experience is not necessarily universal. but in my opinion the time spent re-taking the class would probably be better spent taking a higher-level class if the OP is so inclined, but really even that probs isn't necessary.

Some schools will probably let a C- or two slide, but to be safe, it is absolutely a good idea to retake all C-'s or lower. C's or higher are completely fine, as long as the overall GPAs are acceptable.

any class ESPECIALLY pre reqs below the average grade of C or even B- for that matter should be retaken or made up someway or another. it's not REQUIRED however it's recommended. in the end, it's really up to you. how are you going to explain a C-?

my advice, retake it so you DON'T have to explain it and let it get in the way.

You do not have to retake a C-. Many schools don't do the +/- thing, so it would be ridiculous for a 70 at school A to count as a C, but someone who made a 70 in the same class at school B have to retake because it's a C- at that school.

You do not have to retake a C-. Many schools don't do the +/- thing, so it would be ridiculous for a 70 at school A to count as a C, but someone who made a 70 in the same class at school B have to retake because it's a C- at that school.

Many (if not most) medical schools explicitly require a minimum of C on all the pre-requisite courses. It doesn't matter what the school's policy on +/- is. I would still highly recommend the OP to retake the C-.

Many (if not most) medical schools explicitly require a minimum of C on all the pre-requisite courses. It doesn't matter what the school's policy on +/- is. I would still highly recommend the OP to retake the C-.

I further procrastinated my studying to look this up, and most schools count the C- as a C. However, there are a handful of schools that will not accept a C-, which seems horribly unfair since a C- is a C at most schools. These seem to be elite schools (Duke, etc.), though, where it's going to be pretty difficult anyways to get in with a regular C. If OP is sure they can manage to retake it while getting an A and not letting it affect their other courses that semester, then a retake would not be a bad idea. However, if OP is not sure they can easily manage this, then there seem to be too few of schools (based on my exhaustive 3 minutes of research) that don't accept C- for it to be worth risking lower performance in the other courses that semester.

If you got an A for second semester I wouldn't bother; that way during interviews if it does come up you can just say you learned what went wrong and managed to get an A plus a 12 on PS in MCAT. Be sure to have a response on how exactly you went about this. Anyways, even if you retake and get an A the grades will be averaged on AMCAS/TMDSAS.

Hey guys,

I received a C- in my first year Physics course (which was an anomaly compared to the rest of my transcript). However, on the physical sciences section, I got a 12. I was wondering if I should still retake physics (I know I can now get an A) or if the 12 in physical science is enough to show that I know the concepts for schools that require physics as a pre-requisite

Thanks!

I had about a dozen C's on my transcript. However, I was from a highly ranked school and in an challenging degree program. Got a good MCAT, got accepted. Never retook a C.