Can ODs Perform LASIK???

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Originally posted by Ophtho_MudPhud
Unfortunately, if you graduate from UHSA, then it will be very hard to land an ophthalmology residency afterwards. Not impossible, but very hard.
I think the point may be to get RC out of the country and away from his optometric brethren who've gotten a little tired of his sour attitude... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Reality check
rpames,
but you will one day realize the grass was actually greener on the other side as I have.
Good Luck to you.

What Reality check says is true. The grass in usually greener on the other side. No matter which side you are on.

His view is not the majority of OD's but I have met a few OD's that wanted more. I know of 2 that went to med school and became Ophthalmologists.

I can't necessarily say they are happier........surely more in debt..and making more. One does alot of cataract and lid surgery. The other became our premiere pediatric surgeon.

Personally, I just don't find Optometry boring or inhibitive. Honestly, if someone waived a magic wand over my head tomorrow and gave me the magical wisdom to do any medical procedures I wanted, I couldn't do much more than I am.

In other words, I am busy enough doing the 100's of things I can do without worrying about doing cataract or refractive surgery........or treating the greatly elevated high blood pressure or diabetes that stumbles into my office for that matter. Refer, refer, refer...and co-manage........Everybody refers.

As an aside, I just finished one of my case reports for my application to the AAO. One dealt with a case of Anterior Ischemic Optic Neuropathy (AION) that I co-managed with a retinal Ophthalmologist. He in turned co-managed with an ENT (whom he refer her to for a temporal artery biopsy) and I, comanged her with her Internist (obtaining an ESR and tapering the oral steroids).

No doctor is all-knowing. No doctor in their right mind does it all.

I couldn't be happier (or busier).