Can one do Oral surgery externship in or after first year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scientist1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if its possible to do an externship the summer after first year or even while still in first year? All the programs i looked out say that you have to be in 3rd or 4th year? Do you guys know of any programs that are more flexible??

Members don't see this ad.

Scientist1 said:
Just wondering if its possible to do an externship the summer after first year or even while still in first year? All the programs i looked out say that you have to be in 3rd or 4th year? Do you guys know of any programs that are more flexible??

When I was doing an externship as a 3rd year, there was a 2nd year student there as well. While I was working in the clinic, the other student could only watch, yet she was allowed to be there and I'm sure she benifited from it. If a 2nd year student can do one, I'm sure there are places which would allow a first year student as well, though I know many wont.

Keep lookin. I'm sure if you look hard enough one will let you come and watch during your summer b/f 2nd year. Probably won't let you do much though.

Members don't see this ad :)
What good would it do you? You wouldn't be able to do anything but watch. Kind of defeats the purpose. You'd probably be better off just shadowing a surgeon.

12YearOldKid said:
What good would it do you? You wouldn't be able to do anything but watch. Kind of defeats the purpose. You'd probably be better off just shadowing a surgeon.

i'm going to an OMS externship where i'm just watching. since we don't treat patients until 3rd year i can't treat anyone in externships anyway. it's fine with me because the purpose mainly is for me to see what that specialty is like. if i like what i see, then i'll get my hands wet in 3rd year in another externship. when i went to dental offices before dental school and just watched dentists do their things, it was very informative as well in terms of learning what dentistry is like.

thanks guys, can you please name the institution where you there was a 2nd year and where you are going to be doing your OMS externship?