Can Reapplicant Stigma Be Overcome?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccantr10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off the phone with an admissions counselor at a well-known, private medical school. After speaking with her, I feel that reapplicant stigma is hurting my chances at being accepted at ANY school. I was wondering how some of my fellow reapplicants (or the adcoms who participate on SDN. Goro, can you hear me?) know how I might be able to overcome this obstacle, if it exists at all. Here are some general facts about me and my past sins as an applicant.

Cycle 1 (2010-2011): cGPA: 3.72, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 31 (PS 10, VR 11, BS 10), very few ECs, very late app, did not fill out every secondary. 1 interview, 1 rejection with advice to obtain more clinical exposure.

Cycle 2 (2012-2013): cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.46 (BAD last semester of undergrad) MCAT 31 (PS 10, VR 11, BS 10), LOTS OF NEW ECs, late (ish) app, filled out every secondary. 3 interview, 2 rejection, and 1 waitlist with advice to get a positive trend in my grades .

Cycle 3 (2013-2014): cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.46 (The Positive Trend was underway but incomplete) MCAT 31 (PS 10, VR 11, BS 10), Kept up my ECs, App filled out on time, filled out every secondary. 1 interview, 1 rejection. I was limited by the number of schools I applied due to my MCAT being from 2010.

Cycle 4 (2014-2015): cGPA;3.6, sGPA 3.52 (4.0 after 17 post-bacc credits helped), New MCAT of 33 (PS 9, VR 12, BS 12), Keeping up my ECs, VERY EARLY App (AMCAS and AACOMAS), Applying to my state schools and a healthy number of OOS schools that fit my stats on MSAR. Filling out every secondary within a week so far.

How bad do these multiple cycles hurt me? If I had known how toxic they might have been, I would not have reapplied until this cycle. One trait that the admissions counselor hinted at today was my supposed "single-mindedness." She seemed to think that I had not weighed other career options. I certainly have done this over the past several years, but every thing keeps bringing me back to medicine.

I know some of you may say that I have poor interview skills, and I do. I'm working very hard to prepare for any interviews I may have this cycle.

With all of this in mind, guys, how do you think I should approach things? Any advice (and most criticisms) are welcome, and I'm willing to provide as much background as needed. Just let me know. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your ECs, what state are you a resident of, and how many/which schools did you apply to? Also, what have you been doing since graduating college? You may indeed have bad interview skills, but you're not getting many invites either, making me think there is something else going on with your app besides just your interviewing skills.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got off the phone with an admissions counselor at a well-known, private medical school. After speaking with her, I feel that reapplicant stigma is hurting my chances at being accepted at ANY school. I was wondering how some of my fellow reapplicants (or the adcoms who participate on SDN. Goro, can you hear me?) know how I might be able to overcome this obstacle, if it exists at all. Here are some general facts about me and my past sins as an applicant.

Cycle 1 (2010-2011): cGPA: 3.72, sGPA 3.5, MCAT 31 (PS 10, VR 11, BS 10), very few ECs, very late app, did not fill out every secondary. 1 interview, 1 rejection with advice to obtain more clinical exposure.

Cycle 2 (2012-2013): cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.46 (BAD last semester of undergrad) MCAT 31 (PS 10, VR 11, BS 10), LOTS OF NEW ECs, late (ish) app, filled out every secondary. 3 interview, 2 rejection, and 1 waitlist with advice to get a positive trend in my grades .

Cycle 3 (2013-2014): cGPA: 3.55, sGPA: 3.46 (The Positive Trend was underway but incomplete) MCAT 31 (PS 10, VR 11, BS 10), Kept up my ECs, App filled out on time, filled out every secondary. 1 interview, 1 rejection. I was limited by the number of schools I applied due to my MCAT being from 2010.

Cycle 4 (2014-2015): cGPA;3.6, sGPA 3.52 (4.0 after 17 post-bacc credits helped), New MCAT of 33 (PS 9, VR 12, BS 12), Keeping up my ECs, VERY EARLY App (AMCAS and AACOMAS), Applying to my state schools and a healthy number of OOS schools that fit my stats on MSAR. Filling out every secondary within a week so far.

How bad do these multiple cycles hurt me? If I had known how toxic they might have been, I would not have reapplied until this cycle. One trait that the admissions counselor hinted at today was my supposed "single-mindedness." She seemed to think that I had not weighed other career options. I certainly have done this over the past several years, but every thing keeps bringing me back to medicine.

I know some of you may say that I have poor interview skills, and I do. I'm working very hard to prepare for any interviews I may have this cycle.

With all of this in mind, guys, how do you think I should approach things? Any advice (and most criticisms) are welcome, and I'm willing to provide as much background as needed. Just let me know. Thanks in advance!

You certainly can't overcome it, by continuing to apply. Two late apps speaks to poor decision making. You also fail to note how many schools you applied during your application periods.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your ECs, what state are you a resident of, and how many/which schools did you apply to? Also, what have you been doing since graduating college? You may indeed have bad interview skills, but you're not getting many invites either, making me think there is something else going on with your app besides just your interviewing skills.

Hey, thanks for replying. I live in Tennessee, and I worked in a doctor's office after graduating in 2011 until I left to do my post-bacc work in 2013. I'm looking for work now while I fill out my secondary applications. All told, I have about 2000 hours of volunteer experience and 500 physician shadowing hours. Here's a breakdown of what my ECs are.

-Health Clinic Volunteer in College, 2 years
-Vice-President of High School Quiz-Bowl, 3 years
-1.5 year of research in a biochemistry laboratory with one poster presentation and one paper as a second author
-EMT certification. I've practiced as a volunteer EMT at health clinics in Tennessee, Kentucky, Virginia, and Texas for 2 years
- Hospital volunteer (various departments) for 2.5 years
- Member of local parks and recreation committee, 2 years
- Medical records clerk in primary care office, 2 years
- Physician shadowing in family medicine, orthopedics, urology, cardiology, endocrinology, and osteopathy.

Here's a list of the schools I've applied to this cycle. By the name, I've marked which schools I've applied to multiple times. I've marked the schools where I've interviewed in bold.

Albany Medical College
Creighton University School of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
East TN State U., James H. Quillen Coll. of Med. (x3)
Hofstra North Shore-LIJ School of Medicine
Medical College of Wisconsin
Meharry Medical College (x2)
New York Medical College
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Quinnipiac University SOM
Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (x2)
Saint Louis University School of Medicine (x3)
Tulane University School of Medicine (x2)
University of Alabama School of Medicine (x2)
University of Arkansas College of Medicine (x2)
University of Illinois at Chicago-College of Medicine (x2)
University of Kentucky College of Medicine (x2)
University of Louisville School of Medicine (x2)
University of South Alabama College of Medicine
University of South Carolina School of Medicine
University of TN Health Science Cntr Coll. of Med. (x4)
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (x2)

Here are a few other schools that I've applied to in the past but decided to not apply to this cycle.

Virginia Tech
University of Missouri
Wayne State
EVMS
University of West Virginia
University of Florida
Florida State University
University of Miami
University of Indiana

Two late apps speaks to poor decision making.

The first application CERTAINLY was due to poor decision making. I barely had a grasp of what it meant to apply to med school. The second application cycle was due to me letting work get the better of me (I was working 70 hours a week during that period and had a MONSTER case of writer's block). You would be proud of me now, my man. My AMCAS has been verified for a week, and I've already submitted five secondary applications. I think I've finally turned the corner there. What do you think of my school list?

The first application CERTAINLY was due to poor decision making. I barely had a grasp of what it meant to apply to med school. The second application cycle was due to me letting work get the better of me (I was working 70 hours a week during that period and had a MONSTER case of writer's block). You would be proud of me now, my man. My AMCAS has been verified for a week, and I've already submitted five secondary applications. I think I've finally turned the corner there. What do you think of my school list?

It's got a lot of state schools. (BTW, I'm a female). What your state for residence?

It's got a lot of state schools. (BTW, I'm a female). What your state for residence?

Sorry, didn't mean to be sexist. The Dr. Nick avatar fooled me. I'm from Tennessee. I thought applying to public OOS schools would be a waste of money for me this cycle as well. I changed my tune after talking with the pre-med advisor at the school where I did my post-bacc. She's the one who recommended I apply to some of the public schools I chose (Arkansas, South Carolina). I live about 15 miles away from Tennessee's border with Alabama. That's why I've applied to schools there. I should probably add that I'm applying to DO schools this round. That's a first for me. I'll spare you that list for now.

Sorry, didn't mean to be sexist. The Dr. Nick avatar fooled me. I'm from Tennessee. I thought applying to public OOS schools would be a waste of money for me this cycle as well. I changed my tune after talking with the pre-med advisor at the school where I did my post-bacc. She's the one who recommended I apply to some of the public schools I chose (Arkansas, South Carolina). I live about 15 miles away from Tennessee's border with Alabama. That's why I've applied to schools there. I should probably add that I'm applying to DO schools this round. That's a first for me. I'll spare you that list for now.

Ok. Your school list makes more sense now. I would substitute VCU for EVMS as they seem to be more OOS friendly than them. I applied as a Florida resident with strong Virginia ties (I grew up in VA, but my parents moved to FL around college years) a couple years ago. I went to college in Georgia. VCU gave me no love, but EVMS did give me an II.

The only sure-all cure for the re-applicant stigma is to take a break from applying for at least a cycle and make significant changes to your application. I applied as a prior applicant from 2004, in 2012 with a new MCAT and a 5 year career in the Army as a combat veteran EC. My GPA was still way lower than yours, but I had an MCAT, and plenty of adverse experiences overcome that validated I could make it in medical school. Obviously that's not really an option for you, but that would something that could perhaps overcome a reapplicant stigma. It's not about just adding EC's or increasing your MCAT. It's about showing the ADCOMs that the person they rejected is completely different from the applicant currently in front of them.

Ok. Your school list makes more sense now. I would substitute VCU for EVMS as they seem to be more OOS friendly than them. I applied as a Florida resident with strong Virginia ties (I grew up in VA, but my parents moved to FL around college years) a couple years ago. I went to college in Georgia. VCU gave me no love, but EVMS did give me an II.

The only sure-all cure for the re-applicant stigma is to take a break from applying for at least a cycle and make significant changes to your application. I applied as a prior applicant from 2004, in 2012 with a new MCAT and a 5 year career in the Army as a combat veteran EC. My GPA was still way lower than yours, but I had an MCAT, and plenty of adverse experiences overcome that validated I could make it in medical school. Obviously that's not really an option for you, but that would something that could perhaps overcome a reapplicant stigma. It's not about just adding EC's or increasing your MCAT. It's about showing the ADCOMs that the person they rejected is completely different from the applicant currently in front of them.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'll resubmit to EVMS this cycle. Yeah, your advice makes plenty of sense. If I don't get in this cycle, I'll pursue another career and reapply to medical school when I get some more life experience under my belt. I have no problem being a med student in my 30s!

Listen to that counselor. There's some valuable information. Firstly, It's not a sign of defeat to have backup career plans, it's a sign of maturity. if you give the air of "I'll keep applying until I'm 70!", then you're telegraphing immaturity, not diligence or realistic thinking.

You're also making some classic mistakes. Not applying with the best possible app, applying late, etc. Your 17 credits of nice post-bac is good, but it should be combined with a great MCAT score (>34).

From your list above, I can see you're targeting the wrong schools. too many state schools that don't want people from OOS, much less one with < avg numbers. Why are you applying to Meherry? Are you URM? if not, and have no history of service to minority communities, you're showing that you're not doing your homework. Apply smartly and strategically!

See my post on "guide to applications". Look at Planes2doc's recent post as well on this subject.

Listen to that counselor. There's some valuable information. Firstly, It's not a sign of defeat to have backup career plans, it's a sign of maturity. if you give the air of "I'll keep applying until I'm 70!", then you're telegraphing immaturity, not diligence or realistic thinking.

You're also making some classic mistakes. Not applying with the best possible app, applying late, etc. Your 17 credits of nice post-bac is good, but it should be combined with a great MCAT score (>34).

From your list above, I can see you're targeting the wrong schools. too many state schools that don't want people from OOS, much less one with < avg numbers. Why are you applying to Meherry? Are you URM? if not, and have no history of service to minority communities, you're showing that you're not doing your homework. Apply smartly and strategically!

See my post on "guide to applications". Look at Planes2doc's recent post as well on this subject.

Thanks for the help Goro! You're a real asset to the pre-med community. I just wish that I had started using this forum when I was an undergrad. The tumblers would have fallen into place MUCH sooner. Let me address some of your questions and concerns:

• If I don't get in this cycle (MD or DO), I'm not going to reapply, at least not for a very long time. If you think it's appropriate to say that at an interview when asked, I'll say it. I think some of my problems HAVE been linked to immaturity, especially issues I had after my first cycle. I tell people sometimes that being rejected to med school has given me the opportunity to iron out my personality flaws and become a better person, and I believe it. I don't want to appear immature in front of my interviewers or adcoms, and I am going to work on my interview skills this summer to insure that doesn't happen.
  • If I had known five years ago what I know now about applying to med school, I woudn't be on my fourth cycle. I would either be in med school or on my 1st cycle. I regret the mistakes I've made (applying late, etc.). One thing you can count on is that silly mistakes like that will not be made once I get in . Never again!
  • I hear you about the MCAT. I studied 5 months for my retake, and I was making 35-56 on my AAMCs. PS just killed my score. Sigh....
  • I understand your concern about my school selection. I'm not banking on any public schools other than UT and ETSU. But if this is my last cycle, I'm going to apply to as many schools as I can, excluding the Ivys and other big no-nos for people in my position. I'll have peace in my heart if I know I gave this everything I had (okay, so I guess I am a little stubborn. But, hey, it's a good trait to have sometimes). I'm okay with throwing the money away. Everything is going well as far as secondaries are concerned, by the way. I've received eight and sent them back already.
  • I'm not URM. My application to Meharry is based on a fantastic clinical experience I had at their teaching hospital in Nashville. I know my chances are slim there, but I'm okay with that.

Thanks again for the help. Your post in the other thread was very informative. I think I only have one question for you at this point. What other MD schools should I apply to this cycle? You've seen all the schools I'm applying to as of now. I have no problem adding more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might be better to say "I'll reassess my options. If I can't be a doctor, then doing _____ appeals to me."

• If I don't get in this cycle (MD or DO), I'm not going to reapply, at least not for a very long time. If you think it's appropriate to say that at an interview when asked, I'll say it. I think some of my problems HAVE been linked to immaturity, especially issues I had after my first cycle. I tell people sometimes that being rejected to med school has given me the opportunity to iron out my personality flaws and become a better person, and I believe it. I don't want to appear immature in front of my interviewers or adcoms, and I am going to work on my interview skills this summer to insure that doesn't happen.
I'd prefer you apply smartly. Hopefully you'll be aiming for some of the schools below.
  • I understand your concern about my school selection. I'm not banking on any public schools other than UT and ETSU. But if this is my last cycle, I'm going to apply to as many schools as I can, excluding the Ivys and other big no-nos for people in my position. I'll have peace in my heart if I know I gave this everything I had (okay, so I guess I am a little stubborn. But, hey, it's a good trait to have sometimes). I'm okay with throwing the money away. Everything is going well as far as secondaries are concerned, by the way. I've received eight and sent them back already.

They'll appreciate the donation in the form of your app fee.
  • I'm not URM. My application to Meharry is based on a fantastic clinical experience I had at their teaching hospital in Nashville. I know my chances are slim there, but I'm okay with that.

Goro suggests:
Tulane
U Miami
VCU
SLU
MCW
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Loyola
Rush
EVMS
NYMC
Tufts
BU
Albany
U WV
GWU
Georgetown
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their lists of don'ts)
All new MD schools
Any DO school, starting with LMU-DeBusk.
How's that?

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it. I'll resubmit to EVMS this cycle. Yeah, your advice makes plenty of sense. If I don't get in this cycle, I'll pursue another career and reapply to medical school when I get some more life experience under my belt. I have no problem being a med student in my 30s!

You have much time. I have been wanting to go to med school for 15 years. I took one MCAT in 1997. I just never had the GPA to get in. Also, I have been working as a full time chiropractor for 20 years making a good living, and when you like your career and make good money.... its hard to commit to the pre medical process. Hence, I have never even applied to any medical school.

Now, I am 46. Loads of experience. Better GPA. Taking MCAT in November.
And I am old.
But have 4 chiro friends in med school... all over 45 years old.

Last edited:
Might be better to say "I'll reassess my options. If I can't be a doctor, then doing _____ appeals to me."

I'd prefer you apply smartly. Hopefully you'll be aiming for some of the schools below.

They'll appreciate the donation in the form of your app fee.

Goro suggests:
Tulane
U Miami
VCU
SLU
MCW
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Loyola
Rush
EVMS
NYMC
Tufts
BU
Albany
U WV
GWU
Georgetown
Creighton
Loma Linda (but read their lists of don'ts)
All new MD schools
Any DO school, starting with LMU-DeBusk.
How's that?

THAT is the advice I've been looking for! Thanks for the school list Goro! I'll add them this very day. Have a happy 4th!

Thanks for the encouragement. Will you be applying to DO schools? I would think that a chiropractor would fit in well with the OMM community.

Thanks for the encouragement. Will you be applying to DO schools? I would think that a chiropractor would fit in well with the OMM community.

Honestly, I was only going to apply to MD schools.
But over the last few months I've decided that US DO school is better than caribbean MD.
I will be applying to boatloads of DO and MD schools, but realize my chances are better with DO.

Good luck. Never give up.

I have no idea why people are not commenting on the real issue here. Your stats are just not improving as they should be. In terms of admissions, consider yourself to be a 16 year old teen. Most first time applicants are a 12 year old-pre teens. At your age and experience level, you are expected to know much more as you have been around longer, so why are you submitting stats comparable to the 12 year old first timer? When you are a reapp, you are held to a much much much higher standard as you should know more. Coming in average or below average in most qualifying areas simply will not cut it as a reapp. - Admissions Advice Online

I have no idea why people are not commenting on the real issue here. Your stats are just not improving as they should be. In terms of admissions, consider yourself to be a 16 year old teen. Most first time applicants are a 12 year old-pre teens. At your age and experience level, you are expected to know much more as you have been around longer, so why are you submitting stats comparable to the 12 year old first timer? When you are a reapp, you are held to a much much much higher standard as you should know more. Coming in average or below average in most qualifying areas simply will not cut it as a reapp. - Admissions Advice Online

Thanks for the post. In your opinion, what should I have done/should I be doing to improve my application?

From my personal experience, the successful reapps have always had something dramatically change. It could have been their GPA, MCAT, Personal Statement, or research experience, but something has changed in a material way. The changes that I see here are subtle changes. If schools know that you are a reapp, some will pull your app and give it a full review. During this review, they will want to see strong evidence of improvement and passion for medicine. Subtle changes do not convey drive and passion; it conveys a desire to just meet the minimum bar. While it does show tenacity, you really need to hit them hard over the head with something that will make them say "Wow, this person is really dedicated to becoming a doctor." - Admissions Advice Online

From my personal experience, the successful reapps have always had something dramatically change. It could have been their GPA, MCAT, Personal Statement, or research experience, but something has changed in a material way. The changes that I see here are subtle changes. If schools know that you are a reapp, some will pull your app and give it a full review. During this review, they will want to see strong evidence of improvement and passion for medicine. Subtle changes do not convey drive and passion; it conveys a desire to just meet the minimum bar. While it does show tenacity, you really need to hit them hard over the head with something that will make them say "Wow, this person is really dedicated to becoming a doctor." - Admissions Advice Online

Thanks again. To be honest, the BIG change in my application came between the first and second cycles. I was rejected by my state school for not having enough "clinical experience," so that's when I embarked on the bulk of my shadowing, volunteer, and work experiences. And my research publication also came between the first and second cycles. In retrospect, I should have held off on reapplying until I could bring my GPA and MCAT up; however, the dean of admissions at my state school told me to reapply during that second cycle. That's what I did. The only thing I've done for this cycle is bring up my grades and MCAT, get a new (clinical) job, and add hours to my other ECs. And I have schmoozed with my state schools. They all know me by name.

Speaking as a former third time re-applicant, I don't think someone gets rejected just because they're a re-applicant. I have a thread with some of my tips that's buried somewhere in this sub forum if you want to search for it. That said, I made sure to fix all the mistakes I made in prior cycles (applying too late, with a sub-par MCAT, not spending enough time writing my PS and activities section).

I remember some people thought I was crazy for applying a third time. As long as you have a good plan, just trust yourself that it will all work out.

Reactions: 1 users
I found out yesterday that I've been accepted into an MD school (EVMS! Was not expecting to get the nod from them this early!)! I guess that answers my original question. Big thanks to everyone for all the advice! Good luck to all my fellow re-applicants this cycle.

Reactions: 9 users
Dude!! congratulations. I am NOT surprised. I read this thread a couple months ago and had a really good feeling about you. You just seem to have a good attitude and perspective on this process :)

Good luck in med school. Hopefully I will be as lucky next cycle...