Can residents get another part time job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glgll

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably like once a week or somethjng like that?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a part time job as a resident. eating meals, sleeping, and showering. I usually can do it once a week. just depends.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I don’t see how this is possible. I am already having to get creative to not go over 80 hours a week.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It would only be possible in the states that give you a full/unrestricted license while in residency, or those who only require one year of residency to get a license.

but anyone can deliver pizzas or be an Uber driver when not on call I guess…

Part of me wonders what side job this person wants. Part of me wonders how lazy the OP is that they didn't even repeat the question in the thread or give more info... ;)

Two things.
-During school I had a side job from a prior career that paid $25 an hour. I underestimated a "joke class" and worked through a weekend that I should have used for studying. Did less well on a test than I should have done. Overall impact on my life - none. But I should have left the past in the past.

-During residency I saw some cases as a 1st year with an attending where the attending was like - nothing can be done for this patient. My 3rd year I was with a different attending and guess what - surgically treatable condition albeit high failure rate. I would have known that as a 1st year if I'd READ MORE.

You are literally for the rest of your life presenting yourself as a subject matter expert on the foot and ankle. There is always something more you can know.

Reactions: 5 users
Well you can always donate plasma twice a week. Just gotta replenish that fluid and eat lots of protein so you don't pass out at your grueling residency job. Not bad money for just sitting there with a needle in your arm while you study foot stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
It is residency dependent. I did quite a bit of moonlighting as a resident. However, you should be concerned if you have an abundance of time to moonlight. I did not match with my top choices and the residency I matched to was quite weak surgically, which was why I had so much time to moonlight. It definitely improved my clinical/billing skills and overall I had a hell of a good time during residency. That being said now my surgical skills are behind many of my peers, and I'm out taking surgical courses trying to catch up so I don't cripple someone on the table.

Reactions: 5 users