Can some please explain how to use Destroyer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanicvibe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it’s just a bunch of tests and explained solutions- do we just use it as a source for multiple practice tests then reading the answers to see why we got it correct or incorrect?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely would not say it's a bunch of tests. It's a ton of questions with very detailed answers that you should take notes on to formulate your own notes on the questions, answer choices, and solutions. The book is absolutely gold for the sciences and math. It really rips you down going through it the first time, especially if your foundation in them are bad.

Use the Destroyer as a bible for the DAT now that you have it. Know how to solve each and every question without memorizing, and understand the concepts behind each one. That way you will be prepare as possible once you come to the actual test.

I go into detail exactly how I used the Destroyer in my breakdown, as have other people like @Rainbowsheep5 and @WithLove. We all swear by the Destroyer. Just do the problems, learn the theories and concepts behind each, and you will do great.

Reactions: 2 users
I used a spreadsheet to take notes and keep track of my attempts. If I'm getting something wrong multiple times, clearly I didn't learn from my mistakes. I make note of topics I got wrong or was uncertain about. After my final pass through Destroyer, I consolidated my notes into a document file and deleted stuff that I knew very well now. I would then focus my review on stuff that I still found somewhat tricky. This might involve Googling various explanations from multiple sources to get a clear understanding of the topic. For equations, I noted anything I couldn't confidently recite from memory or derive on the fly.

After the 2nd attempt, I started being able to answer questions but based on rote memorization of the question and answer which clearly isn't a good thing. So to make sure I understand the actual material, I mentally explain every answer choice and also anything even remotely related. In this manner, each question is like a cram review session for me. For example, if a problem was asking about the function of Immunoglobin D, I would explain that mentally, then I would also mentally explain the other immunoglobins. Then I would further expand on that and remind myself that IgA or immunoglobulin "apocrine" as I remember it is secreted in milk which confers passive immunity which is immunity gained by transfer of antibodies which is in contrast to active immunity. Active immunity involves the body responding to pathogens and developing its own antibodies. And so on... Point is, I get a crazy amount of review done this way. Yes, it takes longer than normal but I find it to be a worthwhile strategy to constantly test my own memory.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 8.57.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 8.57.54 PM.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
I wouldn't use it to predict your actual performance on the real test because it is overall harder and involves more complex problems/concepts. You might become discourage if you try to do that. The problems are great for learning and understanding the concepts general.

Reactions: 1 user
In my case, I went through each question as a first pass. Naturally, that was a humbling experience. You quickly realize how little you learned in your bio and orgo courses. This first pass is just for preliminary exposure to concepts. You're not going to acquire the information just yet. Although you can take notes in the margins because the act of writing is itself a learning enforcement mechanism. Next, I would do a second pass through. Here is where the different subjects require different approaches.
- The Gen Chem section is really all about calculation and practice doing problem solving. While there is some conceptual learning, it's mainly calculations and knowing which equations to use and how to set up an answer in terms of that equation.
- As for Orgo, this is definitely more conceptual. Personally, I found it helpful to use the Orgo Odyssey book alongside it but this is definitely not required. If you watch the Orgoman youtube videos alongside the Orgo questions you will be more than prepared for the DAT.
- For Bio, I found it helpful to go through and create mnemonics each question. I know this sounds like a lot but there's a lot of conceptual overlap between some questions and the very process of creatively coming up with funny, corny, raunchy mnemonics helps cement the concepts in your brain, not to mention that it takes something that would otherwise be a miserable exercise in tedium (i.e., learning biology) and turns it into a fun creative project. Hope this helps and feel free to message me with any questions.

(24 AA | 24 TS | 22 PAT | 22 GC | 22 BIO | 30 OC | 24 RC | 21 QR)

Reactions: 1 user