Can someone explain this program a little better?

The12thProctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 10th grader in high school. Ive been looking at stuff I could do to help me whilst in high school, and while I was researching I found this school in my area. From the page "UAB School of Medicine’s Early Medical School Admission Program, which permits them to graduate with both a bachelor’s degree and M.D." If someone could explain how this differs from the regular path. As I understood (I'm probably wrong) you go get a bachelor and then go and apply to Medical School. How does interfere with the MCAT stuff, which to admit I'm a little ignorant on as well.

Members don't see this ad.

I assume it is a direct entry without having to apply to med school. You maintain grades at Alabama and get into UAB SOM.

I assume it is a direct entry without having to apply to med school. You maintain grades at Alabama and get into UAB SOM.
Bingo. northwestern has a terrific one as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I'm not so sure these programs are that advantageous. Often the grade requirements would make you competitive anyway...

How are they not advantageous? You already have an acceptance to medical school coming out of high school....

1) Being locked in to a given school or being forced to give up the spot prior to being allowed to apply elsewhere (some don't do this)
2) Being locked into an undergrad that you may not otherwise have got to except to get into medical school. If you change your mind about your career goals, which many do, or if you end up being unhappy there you might wish you'd gone elsewhere.

1) Being locked in to a given school or being forced to give up the spot prior to being allowed to apply elsewhere (some don't do this)
2) Being locked into an undergrad that you may not otherwise have got to except to get into medical school. If you change your mind about your career goals, which many do, or if you end up being unhappy there you might wish you'd gone elsewhere.

#2 is how a lot of mediocre undergrads get strong students to go there.

Personally I'm not so sure these programs are that advantageous. Often the grade requirements would make you competitive anyway...
True, unless it's something like a 3-4 program or a 6 year program. Then you get to become a physician 2 years sooner (which may or may not be a good thing).