Can someone help explain SOPHAS and School Deadlines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbs125

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm filling out my SOPHAS and have come across some confusion regarding school deadlines and when they need to receive materials by. I'm specifically looking at Harvard and Columbia, which have deadlines in December 1st and 15th. My question is in regards to does this mean I need to E-submit the SOPHAS app by those days in Dec? Or do I need to do it earlier so that the schools get the materials on time? Furthermore, can I take the GRE up to the deadline, or do I need to take it 15 days in advance (Nov. 15 for a Dec. 1 deadline) in order for SOPHAS to receive the score in time? I'm just not sure how to appropriately schedule my time. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take the gre in enough time for sophas to receive your score. Additionally sophas takes a week or two to certify and then send to your schools.

The sophas school I applied to required the sophas app and their supplemental app to be submitted by the deadline. So I submitted to sophas 2 weeks in advance of the deadline (just to be sure). The supplemental app was basic demographic questions and the schools app fee. Ymmv.

Members don't see this ad :)
from the sophas website, ideally you want to send it more than a month ahead of time of the schools deadline

It really depends on the school. Some want all of your application materials to be verified by SOPHAS before the deadline, while others only request that they be submitted and checked in by SOPHAS before the deadline.

You need to take the gre in enough time for sophas to receive your score. Additionally sophas takes a week or two to certify and then send to your schools.

The sophas school I applied to required the sophas app and their supplemental app to be submitted by the deadline. So I submitted to sophas 2 weeks in advance of the deadline (just to be sure). The supplemental app was basic demographic questions and the schools app fee. Ymmv.

Hey where do you see that it takes an additional 1-2 weeks for SOPHAS to verify? My understanding was that it took 10-14 days for ETS to get it to SOPHAS and then it is uploaded and you're done at that point?

Jbs that is correct. It takes ETS up to 10-14 days to send scores. SOPHAS usually has them up within 24 hours after they have been sent. I think Dr.publichealth was referring to the SOPHAS verification process, which can take up to 4 weeks.

Yes. I was referring to the sophas application verification process. The moral is make sure that you take that into consideration when you submit your app, if your school requires that sophas be verified and especially if you have to turn in a supplemental app prior to the deadline.

(Holy run- on sentence! My apologies, on a cell phone)

Jbs that is correct. It takes ETS up to 10-14 days to send scores. SOPHAS usually has them up within 24 hours after they have been sent. I think Dr.publichealth was referring to the SOPHAS verification process, which can take up to 4 weeks.

Having a verified application versus being 100% complete are two different things. It takes SOPHAS approximately 3-4 weeks to verify your application, which is the "last step" during the application process. HOWEVER, an application can reach "verified" status while still being incomplete. What I mean by this is, as long as you have AT LEAST 2 references and all of your schools transcripts, your application can be moved to the "verified" status after e-submitting. I e-submitted on October 14th and it only took me 4 days to reach "verified", but I am sure that is due to me submitting my application early.

As long as you have COMPLETELY filled out your application, e-submit it so they can go ahead with the verification process. Since it's getting closer to December deadlines, I am assuming that it'll take longer that my 4 day verification. So, if you have filled everything out, go ahead and e-submit. It doesn't matter if they haven't received your transcripts yet. It doesn't matter if they're missing your GRE scores and references, submit it.

My application is verified, but I'm missing two of my five references still and my GRE scores. But please be aware that once you e-submit, you cannot change your application! But you can add other schools and SOPs (and edit your references and GRE score section). Everything else is frozen.

Also, once you e-submit, the schools that you applied for can see your application (once your application is verified). That is why it's important to e-submit early! Missing information can be added before the official deadline!

Summary:
  • e-Submit early since it takes SOPHAS 3-4 weeks to verify your application. If done earlier, it might be done quicker (to dodge traffic)
  • If your application has at least 2 completed LORs and all of your transcripts, your application will be verified
  • Speaking of the application status of "verified", that means that your application is complete
  • Once your application is "verified", which ever schools you submitted your application to will be able to see your application, regardless if you're missing some information. They will contact you about missing info
  • If you're not sure if you'll have your information on time, but your applications verified, I would contact the schools directly

Reactions: 1 user