Can someone please explain how does the 1.5x time work for mcat accommodation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tabush

T
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently approved for the 1.5x time. But I feel very lost.
1) Will each section be 2hr15 mins long instead of 90 mins or will it be broken into 90 mins sections?
2) Will the 30 mins break will be extended to 45 mins break?
3) What does 25% accommodation mean?
2) Will I take 2 sections in one day or will it be 3 sections one day and 1 on the other.
I am trying to mimic testing conditions for my practice exam. I'll really appreciate if any one can explain this.
Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 12.28.58 AM.png

Members don't see this ad.

1. Each section is now 135 (90*1.5) minutes long. I'm not sure how you would think they would split it into two 90 minute sections as that would be 180 minutes per section. While each section is considerably longer than normal, you have the extra 30 minute break time over each day that will stop the clock and allow you to split it into two 67.5 (135/2) sections if you want. As explained in your screenshot, that will stop the clock.
2. No, it will not. This is explained in the last sentence of your screenshot where it says that "no additional extended break accommodation is needed." Most people take their thirty-minute break after CARS and before B/B. Since you're done for the day after CARS, they are not extending that lunch break for you. You will just go home for the day. However, they are giving you an extra 5 minutes for each of your ten-minute breaks AND the extra 30 minute break time per day, so you should have plenty of breaks.
3. I think it is a typo as you've stated you got 1.5x accommodation.
4. You will take C/P and CARS on Day 1 and B/B and P/S on Day 2.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Each section is now 135 (90*1.5) minutes long. I'm not sure how you would think they would split it into two 90 minute sections as that would be 180 minutes per section. While each section is considerably longer than normal, you have the extra 30 minute break time over each day that will stop the clock and allow you to split it into two 67.5 (135/2) sections if you want. As explained in your screenshot, that will stop the clock.
2. No, it will not. This is explained in the last sentence of your screenshot where it says that "no additional extended break accommodation is needed." Most people take their thirty-minute break after CARS and before B/B. Since you're done for the day after CARS, they are not extending that lunch break for you. You will just go home for the day. However, they are giving you an extra 5 minutes for each of your ten-minute breaks AND the extra 30 minute break time per day, so you should have plenty of breaks.
3. I think it is a typo as you've stated you got 1.5x accommodation.
4. You will take C/P and CARS on Day 1 and B/B and P/S on Day 2.
Thank you so much for your reply. So for my practice exam should I do following to mimic actual AAMC exam experience:
1) C/P AND CARS on day 1 and B/b AND P/S on day two?
2) during section after 67 mins take 15 mins break.
3) After section take 15 min break.
Once I have completed both sections I can end the practice exam.
Also, for total I will have total of 4 break each consist of 15 mins per day?

Thank you so much for your reply. So for my practice exam should I do following to mimic actual AAMC exam experience:
1) C/P AND CARS on day 1 and B/b AND P/S on day two?
2) during section after 67 mins take 15 mins break.
3) After section take 15 min break.
Once I have completed both sections I can end the practice exam.
Also, for total I will have total of 4 break each consist of 15 mins per day?
1. Yes.
2. You don't have to take a break after 67.5 minutes, but that would divide each day into four sections.
3. You don't have to take a 15 minute break. It could be longer, but you just need to remember that you have 30 minutes of extra break time whenever you want it.
4. Where do you think you get 4 breaks of 15 minutes? You have 1 15 minute break between the each test section (only 1 15 minute break per day) plus 30 minutes of breaks whenever you want. That could be 1 45 minute break between the two sections or 3 15 minute breaks or whatever you want. You don't have 60 minutes of breaks though.

Reactions: 1 user