Can someone who knows dispel the myths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

josephf1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm PGY2 applying to cards this year. Some questions maybe you can answer?
Everyone else tells me 1000 differnet answers

1) Are there secret cutoffs progroms use when downloading apps on ERAS?
- Step 1/2/3 scores? Which steps in particualr? Which scores?

2) If you have NO pubs at all do you have a chance?

3) Are there programs OFF Eras that are easier to get into? Are some states/programs norotiously large or easy to get into?

4) Time to moonlight in fellowship or impossible?

5) Is research time in fellowship super chill?

6) How much can you make when you finish? Is it coming down to the point where a hospitalist can make almost the same as noninvasive?

7) Any other ideas, tips to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

1. I think they may use cutoffs except for known applicants like ones they've been called about or from their own program or who they remember from elsewhere like med school.

2. I know people at some big west coast and midwest programs (places like Wash U, UCLA, etc) that have no publications, no abstracts, and got in.

3. Don't know.

4. Depends on the program.

5. Probably depends on the program.

6. Depends on Obama and Congress.

7. Great letters/advocates.

I'm PGY2 applying to cards this year. Some questions maybe you can answer?
Everyone else tells me 1000 differnet answers

1) Are there secret cutoffs progroms use when downloading apps on ERAS?
- Step 1/2/3 scores? Which steps in particualr? Which scores?

2) If you have NO pubs at all do you have a chance?

3) Are there programs OFF Eras that are easier to get into? Are some states/programs norotiously large or easy to get into?

4) Time to moonlight in fellowship or impossible?

5) Is research time in fellowship super chill?

6) How much can you make when you finish? Is it coming down to the point where a hospitalist can make almost the same as noninvasive?

7) Any other ideas, tips to get in?

Agree with the above, except for #1.
Some programs do not even use the USMLE to help decide who gets in, as a fair number of them don't even require that you submit USMLE scores.
One has to be smart about where he/she applies. If you are the type of person who has good board scores, but not AOA, etc. in med school, then it may be smart to apply to places that require board scores but not medical school transcripts. If you were an AOA student in med school but have low board scores, then you might want to choose to apply to more of the cardiology programs that ask to see your med school transcripts, but don't require the USMLE scores to be sent.

As far as research/publications, they matter but being well connected and/or just having a dogged advocate or two among the cardiology attendings you've worked with is at least equally important. Also, having an IM program director who is willing to go to bat for you sure helps. Some are more willing to do this than others.

1. They can do this if they choose to, from my understanding, but not always used.

2. Some people get in with no publications, I agree with dragonfly's points about research.

3. Easier? Not necessarily. They are off the Match and therefore can be reserved for people a program has already offered a spot to, or they might be reserved for an emergency/fallback spot for an internal applicant. They can vary a great deal. First you gotta know if these spots exist at programs you are interested in.

4. Depends on what the program will let you do, licensing in that state, and the opportunities available. Many people I know do moonlight, even residents.

5. Research time is typically not intended to be super chill and most of the time you are going to be expected to produce research and have metrics that measure your productivity. Ask anyone who is NIH funded or trying to be if their research time is chill and I think you'll get a feel for the necessary commitment.

6. Depends on a ton of things, practice location, density of existing providers, your skills at training completion, your desire to take call, so on and so forth.