Can`t let it go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whattodomed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Need some help. I am for some reason becoming obsessed with the MCAT, and unable to let it go. I have a great 3.9 gpa from a Canadian school with alot of ecs that I have put thousands of hours in research, club presidents, int`l local volunteering, lots of jobs and have even been recognized on numerous occasions for my work in the community. As a result, I have really wanted to get into med school in the states. My mcat is a high 20`s (27) with 7 in verbal despite 3 attempts (studied 4 months x 3 summers). At this point in time, I am planning on starting at an international med school. I was thinking of spending like 3 weeks studying hard one last time and see where my luck takes me. Is it worth it to go through this whole mcat process again and have like a 5-10% chance of getting the mcat score required. I am having a really hard time justifying that my years of work towards this one goal is halted due to one number on one test, that lasted for 1 hour. Please need to good solid advice

Members don't see this ad.

PS-9 Vr-7 BS-12 final attempt

first 2 times were mid 20's (24,25)

Members don't see this ad :)
24-25-28 is improvement but not enough.
DO NOT take the mcat again until you take a MCAT prep class and are scoring above 30.
Are you studying the right stuff?
Are you a bad standardized test taker? With your gap I don't think content is your problem, your problem may be critical thinking.

Are you applying to US medical schools this cycle?

not really sure what to do. As a Canadian this was my first experience with such a standardized test. I agree it seems to be critical thinking so should I leave it be or do it again? Will this be a big issue on the USMLE? In canada a minimum of 10 in Vr is required. Do I stand a chance in the states. Should I just go to an international school in europe or australia, i don't want carrib.

Don't retake the mcat.
Apply to lots of American schools. Are you ok with going the DO route?
Ultimately where do u Want to practice, the US?

I don't know...I'm not really seeing a Canadian with a 27 MCAT and 7 on the verbal getting into a US school, but I could be wrong. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I guess. Do you have no chance at Canadian schools with your current score? It seems like you could go Irish or to the Caribbean, versus just going to a DO school in the US if you want to practice in the US. I'm not sure if Canadian residencies accept a US DO degree?

I don't know...I'm not really seeing a Canadian with a 27 MCAT and 7 on the verbal getting into a US school, but I could be wrong. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, I guess. Do you have no chance at Canadian schools with your current score? It seems like you could go Irish or to the Caribbean, versus just going to a DO school in the US if you want to practice in the US. I'm not sure if Canadian residencies accept a US DO degree?

I have heard the few lcme accredited canadian schools have high strict mcat cutoffs and they even screen the writing section...i don't remember where i got this information, prob sdn lol :laugh:

Interviewed at one US MD school really late after being on hold and got into a few DO schools but I don't think its the best option for Canadians. You can only apply for residency in like 1-2 provinces and we only have like 10 DOs in the country so its not known at all here. Anyone know how australian/irish grads fair in the USA match. Should I do the mcat again or pick one of these options (I have offers at both australian/irish)?

Thanks

Interviewed at one US MD school really late after being on hold and got into a few DO schools but I don't think its the best option for Canadians. You can only apply for residency in like 1-2 provinces and we only have like 10 DOs in the country so its not known at all here. Anyone know how australian/irish grads fair in the USA match. Should I do the mcat again or pick one of these options (I have offers at both australian/irish)?

Thanks

They're IMGs like anybody else as far as the match goes. I'd go to one of the better Caribbean ones first as schools like Ross at least will have you do some rotations in the US.
Also, I'd try to figure out how to improve your test taking skills because step 1 is like the MCAT x10.

If I do go to an international school what is my best option. Is it better to spend 2-3 weeks, do the MCAT and see what happens. Can residency directors see your mcat scores in the future and can it impede upon residencies despite USMLE marks? aka if I really fudge up the last attempt but am going to start school rite after, does the mcat score matter? Will the burnout factor be alot? Is it better to invest the time doing some prereading for the med school? What are some thoughts?

If I do go to an international school what is my best option. Is it better to spend 2-3 weeks, do the MCAT and see what happens. Can residency directors see your mcat scores in the future and can it impede upon residencies despite USMLE marks? aka if I really fudge up the last attempt but am going to start school rite after, does the mcat score matter? Will the burnout factor be alot? Is it better to invest the time doing some prereading for the med school? What are some thoughts?

pre-reading for med school is not helpful or beneficial so I would not consider that an option. I would give it all I have and manage to get the best possible score on the MCAT.

I wouldn't worry about prereading stuff for med school. They will tell you what to study when you get there.

It doesn't sound like DO is a good option for Canadians. It sounds like you should go with Irish/Australian/Carib if you can't get into a Canadian school. If you've only tried once @Canadian schools, it may be worthwhile to try the MCAT once more, after studying like heck for the verbal section and the writing sample. You may need to get a personal tutor. Personally, I found Princeton Review very helpful also, but some people like Kaplan or other companies more.

Personally, I think if I were going to the Caribbean I would go to St George because even though it costs more than the others, they appear to have a better match and USMLE pass rate,which is the bottom line. I'm not sure about SABA...there seem to be a lot of Canadians there also.