Can you do a different residency after USUHS or HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

browneyes124

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok say you got accepted into USUHS or HPSP but you also wanted to do a certain surgical residency. Could you something thats more military friend at the time like general surgery then once your commitment is up do the specialty you wanted? I figured since you still relatively young ( late 30s early 40s) and if another residency was just 4-5years then that wouldn't be to bad? I want to do military cause it runs in the family...
i wouldnt be much use on the fighting side but I can do something im good at to benefit them

Members don't see this ad.

Could you something thats more military friend at the time like general surgery then once your commitment is up do the specialty you wanted?

Yes, you can, although finding a residency program that is willing to accept you is difficult.

if another residency was just 4-5years then that wouldn't be to bad?

All residencies are tough---and going through a second one in your 40's is just nuts. Why not aim for your preferred specialty the first time around?

Yes, you can, although finding a residency program that is willing to accept you is difficult.

All residencies are tough---and going through a second one in your 40's is just nuts. Why not aim for your preferred specialty the first time around?
Bc I've wanted to do neurosurgery.. My major is neuroscience and I've shadowed neurosurgeons and neurologists and im in love.. Always have been with the brain. But I also know that doing that in the military would be hard bc there aren't many neuro cases

Members don't see this ad :)
Bc I've wanted to do neurosurgery.. My major is neuroscience and I've shadowed neurosurgeons and neurologists and im in love.. Always have been with the brain. But I also know that doing that in the military would be hard bc there aren't many neuro cases

Then don't join the military. You're statements that another residency "wouldn't be too bad" is really really dumb. It reeks of a pre-med that doesn't have any idea how tough medical training is. If you want to do neurosurgery stay a civilian. If you're still interested in the military after your residency you can see about joining then.

Why are there so many threads about This?

ooooo....now I remember this OP. She wants to join the military after being inspired by her ex-bf when he came out of Marine boot camp. Now apparently the military tradition runs in the family. Maybe she married her ex-bf Marine?

My dream is to be a neurosurgeon and I had never considered the military till my ex graduated from Marine boot camp. The way the Corps changed him, I admired and wanted that.

ooooo....now I remember this OP. She wants to join the military after being inspired by her ex-bf when he came out of Marine boot camp. Now apparently the military tradition runs in the family. Maybe she married her ex-bf Marine?
My uncle is actually in the Navy but I hadn't seriously considered it till my ex got out of boot camp. Just because all the facts are not posted, it's not smart to just start assuming

Bc I've wanted to do neurosurgery

You can do neurosurgery in the military if that's what you want. You're not going to be able to go from working as a general surgeon to a neurosurg resident. Not going to happen. And the changes that you saw in your ex don't apply to doctors. We go through a totally separate boot camp.

You can do neurosurgery in the military if that's what you want. You're not going to be able to go from working as a general surgeon to a neurosurg resident. Not going to happen. And the changes that you saw in your ex don't apply to doctors. We go through a totally separate boot camp.
I know I've talked to a few former military doctors and a friend of mine did the HPSP thing and is liking it so far but he is an anesthesiologist I believe. Is it true that since there is just one spot for neurosurgery that you might have to wait a few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.