Can you do all your 4th year rotations in a different state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alisepeep

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if this is school dependent or not but If i go to school in state X, is it possible for me to do all of my rotations in 4th year in various hospitals in state Y?

Members don't see this ad.

You can do a lot of rotations at different institutions. But you'll likely still be have a few required rotations at your home program depending on your med school.

At my school, you have to do 4 months of 4th year at your home institution. The other 7 months are either vacation or electives you can take wherever the heck you want. (Can't say I've ever heard of anyone doing four away electives, but it's possible)

This is going to be dependent on your medical school. Are you a U.S. medical student or are you an international medical student? It is very common for IMS' to travel state to state to complete their 3rd/4th year rotations for graduation as it is VERY RARE to be able to have all core and elective rotations through the same hospital network.

I do know certain companies have enough rotations in certain states that will fulfill the majority of requirements.