can you do "transitional year" strictly in FP, peds, ER, etc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jonnylingo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance...

From what I understand, trasitional year is an intern year with a MIX of Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, etc.

Are there transitional years that are strictly Peds, FP, ER that would serve as your intern year before going into, say, PM&R, Ophthalmology, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't someone just make a thread about this on this forum?

If you are talking about a 1 year program strictly in one field, they are called prelim years, not transitional years. There's another thread asking about which different prelim years are offerred.

Members don't see this ad :)
jonnylingo said:
Pardon my ignorance...

From what I understand, trasitional year is an intern year with a MIX of Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, etc.

Are there transitional years that are strictly Peds, FP, ER that would serve as your intern year before going into, say, PM&R, Ophthalmology, etc.?

It is called a "specialty emphasis" internship.

I know you can do them for EM.

This might be an option for DOs but I have not heard of anything like this for MDs. There are Transitional years and they are all a little different but none do too much of anything. Think of being a 3rd yr student again... but this time you are the intern.