Can you get a full ride or scholarships to medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorgirl97

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all but I was wondering if it was possible to get scholarships or grants to medical schools? If so, how do I get them?

Members don't see this ad.

I heard there's a scholarship for people who repeatedly start threads on topics that would be painfully simple for which to find the answer by searching. I think you're a shoe-in!

Members don't see this ad :)
I couldn't find the thread thank you very much. I was looking for answers about *grants*

I couldn't find the thread thank you very much. I was looking for answers about *grants*[/QUOTE

I got a needs based grant from the private med school that I attended - it paid for all 4 years of my tuition - but your parents have to be poor and so do you.

which medical school did you attend?

Last edited:
did you have to do really good in college to get that or you have to be really poor? or both?

not unless you started a clinic in Africa and have 3000 publications.

did you have to do really good in college to get that or you have to be really poor? or both?
You need to get into a school that offers need-based aid, and you need to show need. I think schools with a unit loan concept are a good start (Stanford, Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, WashU...)

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously. According to your post history you are starting college this fall and you were worried about the free time in med school and scholarships. Being that about 7% of people who claim they want to be a doctor actually make it to med school why don't you stop starting threads, enjoy your senior year, focus on school when you finally get there, and read the forums for a few years, and come back when the answers pertain to you.

Seriously. According to your post history you are starting college this fall and you were worried about the free time in med school and scholarships. Being that about 7% of people who claim they want to be a doctor actually make it to med school why don't you stop starting threads, enjoy your senior year, focus on school when you finally get there, and read the forums for a few years, and come back when the answers pertain to you.

Where did you get that statistic? Just wondering...

Where did you get that statistic? Just wondering...

all over the forums. There are numerous threads talking about it. I don't want to track them down. Basically a bunch of people talking about freshmen who claim premed vs. the schools number of students who are accepted.

i don't have a verifiable study, just a number that keeps getting confirmed on SDN year after year. Actually, schools are generally between 5 and 10% so I round to 7%.

all over the forums. There are numerous threads talking about it. I don't want to track them down. Basically a bunch of people talking about freshmen who claim premed vs. the schools number of students who are accepted.

i don't have a verifiable study, just a number that keeps getting confirmed on SDN year after year. Actually, schools are generally between 5 and 10% so I round to 7%.

Really, 5-10%? I imagine the figure is pretty low, but not THAT low. I'd guess something like 20-25% of "declared" pre-meds actually apply and get into medical school. At least that was my experience.

At my school, about 500 students get into a medical school (MD/DO/Carrib). The biology dept is about 6000. There is also other science/non science majors applying so I guess the statistic makes sense.

Out of everyone I knew from freshman year, only a few are going to medical school.

It's possible but not common, and most scholarships I've heard of will only cover tuition, so you'll still have to come up with living expenses... ie- don't go into the application cycle expecting anything.

From the movie 21:
The Robinson Scholarship is comprehensive, as you know. It's a free ride. And free rides don't come easy. We have 76 applicants this year, only one of whom will get the scholarship and most of whom have résumés just as impressive as yours. The Robinson is going to go to someone who dazzles. Somebody who just jumps off the page... Ben, last year, the Robinson went to Hyum Jae Wook, a Korean immigrant who has only one leg.

So, tell me, OP, do you dazzle??

Really, 5-10%? I imagine the figure is pretty low, but not THAT low. I'd guess something like 20-25% of "declared" pre-meds actually apply and get into medical school. At least that was my experience.

Really? I am talking about the number of people coming in as a freshman that say "I am pre-med" vs. the number of people who apply and get accepted to med school.

I will try to track it down but I have seen it as 5-10% hundreds of times around the forums. I can't be the only one.

At my school, about 500 students get into a medical school (MD/DO/Carrib). The biology dept is about 6000. There is also other science/non science majors applying so I guess the statistic makes sense.

Out of everyone I knew from freshman year, only a few are going to medical school.

Yeah there is a thread somewhere that has a bunch of people making posts exactly like this and it averages out to about 5-10% per school.

Being poor is not "awesome."

Yep, the only time that being poor is awesome is when you are applying for financial aid for med school so that you won't have to be poor anymore. Other than that, being poor is not so great. I don't recommend it as a lifestyle.

Reactions: 1 user
which medical school did you attend?

I don't want to "out" myself on SDN. I graduated from one of those proverbial top ten med schools - one of the private med schools with a big endowment. I also got a merit scholarship but it was only $5,000 per year and the needs based grant was about $45,000 per year.

You need to get into a school that offers need-based aid, and you need to show need. I think schools with a unit loan concept are a good start (Stanford, Harvard, Hopkins, Penn, WashU...)
What is a unit loan and how does it differ from your regular, run of the mill federal educational loan?

What is a unit loan and how does it differ from your regular, run of the mill federal educational loan?
http://hms.harvard.edu/admissions/default.asp?page=costs

The Unit Loan
Harvard Medical School uses a policy known as the Unit Loan concept to package financial aid awards and assure that high-need students have priority for scholarship funds. The Unit Loan is a package of loans offered to meet financial need before any HMS scholarship is offered. A student's financial need must exceed the total unit loan before the student is eligible for scholarship aid through HMS:
Financial Need - Unit Loan = HMS Scholarship
For the 2011 incoming class, the Unit Loan is $24,500. A student whose computed need exceeds $24,500 will be offered HMS Scholarship. The cornerstone of our loan package is always the Federal Direct Stafford Loan (fixed interest rate at 6.8%), which meets up to $8,500 of need. The Perkins Federal Loan and various low-interest loans (interest of 5-7%) are used to meet the remaining loan need up to our unit loan amount. While in school, interest does not accrue and payments are not required.
Basically, if you have "full need" (however the school defines it) you will be given 24.5k in loans and the remainder of the cost of attendance will be covered by grants/scholarships.

At Harvard, I think the cutoff for "full need" is parental income of <120k with normal assets for that income range. It varies from school to school.

Roughly a third of the unit loan is federal. This means only that portion is eligible for income based repayment and public service loan forgiveness.

MD/PhD. We get full scholarships and monthly stipends for our research. If you think you might want to enter research or academic medicine as a career, consider it :)

Attending a public med school. Got merit-based 50% tuition scholarship for the 4 years. Not a PhD/MD student.

Maybe because the OP is doing something called looking ahead? And the answers given here by others for getting those scholarships are things that she can start doing WHEN SHE GETS TO COLLEGE, instead of wasting her time partying and getting krunk. In other words, we are helping her get more focused and understand what's at stake here. Better she realize it now than during her senior year when she realizes that she has ruined her GPA and that 3.1 GPA is getting her nowhere.

And to you FrkyBgStok, get rid of your FrkyBig ego and get off your high horse. Just because you're ahead in college doesn't mean that you're superior enough to bash the OP into the ground.

Maybe because the OP is doing something called looking ahead? And the answers given here by others for getting those scholarships are things that she can start doing WHEN SHE GETS TO COLLEGE, instead of wasting her time partying and getting krunk. In other words, we are helping her get more focused and understand what's at stake here. Better she realize it now than during her senior year when she realizes that she has ruined her GPA and that 3.1 GPA is getting her nowhere.

And to you FrkyBgStok, get rid of your FrkyBig ego and get off your high horse. Just because you're ahead in college doesn't mean that you're superior enough to bash the OP into the ground.

You mad? We know you are "looking ahead" as you started a group about the graduating class of 2019....

you should stop worrying about school and start worrying about prom. chances are that you'll end up a communications or psych major anyway

there is of course the Health Professions Scholarship Program offered by the Air Force, Army and Navy. Free medical school, great experience and leadership skills. My wife is also a physician, non-military, and we have A TON of loans from her school, vs ZERO for me.

Food for thought!

+1. :thumbup:

FrkyBgStok is a FrkyBgDouchebag