Can you get an intern license if your school is new an unaccredited?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drhenPharmD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from California, and the State Board of Pharmacy website says applicants must be presently enrolled in a school of pharmacy recognized by the board or accredited by the ACPE. What are the qualifications for being "recognized" by the board (is there a list of schools somewhere?)? And does it differ greatly from ACPE accreditation?

I'm new to SDN and apologize if this has been answered previously. I could not find any threads that touched on this subject.

P.S. Also, can you have an intern license from 2 different states at once?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, if the school was denied accreditation then I would think you wouldn't be able to get a license. If the school has a pending accreditation status then I would think you should be able to. If the school has pre-candidate or candidate status then you should be fine. If it has failed accreditation then you really shouldn't be going there in the first place... but I'm pretty sure they approve just about any school nowadays. :rolleyes:

You can have an intern license from as many states as you want I believe. Here in TN we aren't required to be licensed by the state. We just have to prove to our employer that we are current pharmacy students.

Is it possible to get an intern license before the first day of pharmacy school? It seems like all I really need is the dean's signature.

Also, does anyone know if attending a new and not fully accredited school makes you ineligible for FAFSA?

I'm from California, and the State Board of Pharmacy website says applicants must be presently enrolled in a school of pharmacy recognized by the board or accredited by the ACPE. What are the qualifications for being "recognized" by the board (is there a list of schools somewhere?)? And does it differ greatly from ACPE accreditation?

I'm new to SDN and apologize if this has been answered previously. I could not find any threads that touched on this subject.

P.S. Also, can you have an intern license from 2 different states at once?

Just remember, you'll want to transfer your intern hours to the state you intend to be licensed in. It is pretty tough toaccumulate hours in two states simultaneously and be able to sit for boards in both states. Your school (should) offer you guidance about this during the first year.