Can you guys give me a detailed experience of podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gstead245

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about pod school and would like to know a typical day amount of course work, I realize its gonna be incredibly challenging so would like to know before hand.

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about pod school and would like to know a typical day amount of course work, I realize its gonna be incredibly challenging so would like to know before hand.

Here are the block schedules for AZPod: http://www.midwestern.edu/glendale-az-campus/block-schedules.html
You can select PM I/II/III and for the quarter of interest to see the daily schedule.
Most classes are not mandatory, excepting labs (and you would be going to ~2/3 of the scheduled laboratory sessions on the schedules for gross anatomy, FYI).

If you're someone who doesn't go to class (which I think is a terrible idea, but reportedly works for some), I would think most of the same amount of time would need to be spent studying. Your study pace/style determines how much outside study each day, but I would think at minimum a few hours of study each night or morning and all day for at least one day per weekend would be average if you want to perform decently during the first two years. Also, any free afternoon time during schooldays should be spent studying, as well. Volunteering opportunities are available year-round, usually last for a few hours at a time, and are scheduled at your convenience.

Developing a routine that works for you is very helpful to making time spent studying effective, in my opinion.

wow I was checking it out, pretty damn loaded. Every Monday theres a 4 hour exam? Also what does PM 1/2/3 mean? do you just switch off those schedules in a one quarter?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow I was checking it out, pretty damn loaded. Every Monday theres a 4 hour exam? Also what does PM 1/2/3 mean? do you just switch off those schedules in a one quarter?

Not every Monday... just most :) (and I think most exams range from 1-2hrs. if I recall correctly, though Gross Anatomy exceeds this due to having both practical and written portions).

PM-I = podiatric medicine year 1, etc. (no PM-IV is listed since no didactic training schedule remains after third year).

Yes, Midwestern runs on a quarter system and is a year-round program throughout all four years.

i dont get why theres pm 1-3 in one quarter. do u have to do all three of those? also i was looking at examples of podiatry school questions, it was really hard. i couldnt answer a single one the ones i looked at, the wording was very out there. im scared ill flunk pod school and be in debt. what is your thoughts?

i dont get why theres pm 1-3 in one quarter. do u have to do all three of those? also i was looking at examples of podiatry school questions, it was really hard. i couldnt answer a single one the ones i looked at, the wording was very out there. im scared ill flunk pod school and be in debt. what is your thoughts?

For each quarter, the block schedule probably corresponds to the Classes of 2016, 2017, and 2018 (or -1 year if they haven't been updated yet), which take classes simultaneously but with different block schedules.

Since you haven't taken the courses required to answer the questions you saw, it would be expected for you not to answer them correctly and isn't alarming at all. There's a reason you have to go to school for four years to become a podiatrist - undergraduate-level training only lays a foundation for you to be able to succeed in graduate medical education, podiatric or otherwise.

Last edited:
At WesternU at least for the 1st year every tuesday you have ECM from 1-5 which is sort of a play doctor kind of class. You have actors that act as patients and you do a history and physical on them. maybe once or twice a month you have something called IPE which is where you meet for about 3 hours with all the other professions (opto, dentist, nursing, osteopat, etc). On monday you have your core podiatry class from 1-5. And then you have your "core" classes which have lecture hours spread out throughout the day. depending on the class, it dictates how many lecture hours there are. only a select few classes are mandatory and most students watch the lecture recordings at 2x speed.

as a detailed explanation for your 1st class at western for gross anatomy, you have about 2-3 hours of lecture everyday and then you go to the anatomy lab to dissect about 4 hours 2-3x a week.
for neuro you will have about 4-8 hours of lecture everyday for about 5-6 weeks or so.
For the last class there was about 54 hours of lecture for a 3 week class and this was musculo.