Can you wear dress shoes without laces to an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aegistitan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview next week and was wondering if I could wear dress shoes like this:

slipon-300x300.jpg

Or if I should go buy new shoes with laces.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's literally the pair I wore to my interview. IMO you don't even really notice since your pants cover that part of your shoe as well. I don't think it really matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's literally the pair I wore to my interview. IMO you don't even really notice since your pants cover that part of your shoe as well. I don't think it really matters.

Personally I'm a big fan of the "no break" look for pants.

Appearance matters, whether we like it or not.
Yes, appearance matters and research shows that homely people and fat people are discriminated against and people who poorly groomed are discriminated against and people who wear clothing that is in disrepair may be discriminated against but do matters of taste such as tie shoes vs slip-ons or a striped tie vs a solid really matter? I would say no.

Reactions: 4 users
Should this be a factor adcoms use in deciding to offer admission?
Should matters of taste matter in med admissions?

Oh no, I wasn't saying it should be. Appearances matter, of course, but pant break preferences definitely shouldn't matter as long as the applicant looks presentable and professional.

My school does group interviews. I never see shoes. You could come in barefoot and I wouldn't notice. The wily old Admissions dean would, though.
It's a nice shoe. Go for it.

I have my first interview next week and was wondering if I could wear dress shoes like this:

slipon-300x300.jpg

Or if I should go buy new shoes with laces.

This shoe screams "I have no style and this is my first time trying to dress nice."

Interviewer: "Excuse me, what the hell do you think you are wearing? Lace-less shoes? Say goodbye to your acceptance letter and future."

Reactions: 1 users
The shoes are ugly and should definitely not be worn with a suit, but plenty of people do it since they don't know any better and no one says a word.

The shoes are ugly and should definitely not be worn with a suit, but plenty of people do it since they don't know any better and no one says a word.

Do you think medical student applicants should be admitted, or not, based on their fashion sense? This is a forum for questions from med school applicants; it isn't GQ.

n=1 but I've heard from one adcom that he does look at whether shoes are laced or not. His thinking is "if you don't have the time to even tie your shoes, you must be lazy or terrible at managing your time". Is this a bad way of assessing an applicant? Absolutely. But you just never know who is going to be interviewing you I guess.

I would never wear shoes without laces because I think they look ugly, but that is just my personal preference.

Do you think medical student applicants should be admitted, or not, based on their fashion sense? This is a forum for questions from med school applicants; it isn't GQ.

The poster wanted to know if they were appropriate. They are not, but they will pass as just fine for a medical school interview as many many people have similarly poor understanding of proper attire.

If he already owns them, they will be passable. But he should certainly not go out and purchase them if he is currently deliberating between these and something else.

For all of you who are curious, those type of shoes fall under 'loafers' I believe. According to Jos A. Bank's site:https://www.josbank.com/mens-dress-and-casual-shoes your loafers would be considered more of a business casual footwear rather than of 'interview' quality. Alas, seems like adcoms don't pay attention to shoes that much.