Can you work in Med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorold

By all means necessary
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I looked up some old posts, and some were saying that if you are a RN, NP or PA, you can work part time in med school in the 1st 2 years for good money, but when you start rotations you won't be able to. Since I have a family to support, I want to know if it worth it to get a RN just to be able to work in the 1st 2 years of medical school. (I'm not in nursing, my major is Biology).
What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't think it is worth it to get another degree just to be able to work for a few years here and there. Yes it is good money but we are talking about several shifts a month for the most part. You would be better off getting a part time job as a bartender, waiter, tutor etc.

Survivor DO

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but not worth it.

Oooooh. This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time. You're going to invest a lot of time and/or money to become a doctor. And don't underestimate the effort it takes to make yourself a strong residency candidate. You owe it to yourself to focus on that pursuit alone.

I had a family to support in medical school too. 2 kids and my wife stayed at home. We lived off students loans and did fine. I did research with a stipend between M1/M2. Just be frugal. If your partner can earn a few bucks that's gravy.

I've heard of some people working one day a week every other week or something like that. Theoretically, you could work a regular shift one day every weekend if you've got a study plan that can accommodate that. But Medical School is essentially an "all-hands-on-deck ordeal." This means it comes first over everything (besides any dire health concerns obviously).

Oooooh. This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time.

LOL. Yeah, that happens when I'm sleep deprived. I manage to come up with one of those every now and then :)

Get a bartending job...relatively no training (depending on the state), short shifts, fun/fast paced environment, and good money per hour.

Do not waste your time becoming a RN so you can work...there are plenty of other things that would pay just as well and not require the training.

Get a bartending job...relatively no training (depending on the state), short shifts, fun/fast paced environment, and good money per hour.

Do not waste your time becoming a RN so you can work...there are plenty of other things that would pay just as well and not require the training.

There's plenty of jobs that pay $60-$100k a year and require very little training? I'm all ears :thumbup:

Foolishness! My students take a semester load of about 30-40 credits....that's 2-3x the times of an intensive undergrad credit load. Anyone who thinks that they can work in med school and survive the curriculum might as well set fire to their application.

I had one student who thought he could still maintain his old consulting business and be a medical student. He was literally at the bottom of his class for a semester and was dismissed.

I had another student who thought he could do some weekly advising to undergrads at his alma mater. even that was too much...he tanked about half of the semester before he was convinced that he needed to devote ALL of his efforts to medical school.

I looked up some old posts, and some were saying that if you are a RN, NP or PA, you can work part time in med school in the 1st 2 years for good money, but when you start rotations you won't be able to. Since I have a family to support, I want to know if it worth it to get a RN just to be able to work in the 1st 2 years of medical school. (I'm not in nursing, my major is Biology).
What do you guys think?

There's plenty of jobs that pay $60-$100k a year and require very little training? I'm all ears :thumbup:

I don't think one should work at all during med school if they can help it but if they feel so inclined there are options.

I'm talking part time jobs that are feasible during med school. So more of a high per hour job like bar tending, waiting tables, etc. That doesn't require investing a ton of time in training. Time = money.
You can't make 60-100k doing nursing while going to med school unless you pull some hermoine granger action. If you are going to become an rn why not just do np while you are at it? Seems like the time investment (plus the costs of becoming an RN) isn't really worth it if your goal is to ultimately become a doctor. Training for nursing = less time to get med school done which means less physicians pay.

There are also lots of jobs where you can study while you work like desk jobs. Trust me, I did them all while completing my pre-reqs!

becoming an RN my interfere with you from completing your MD goal.... money will always be there in nursing..look at it this way.. if you do an RN you will always have it...if you don't then your pressured to complete the program for all the reasons you know...working in medical school is not the norm, but some do it, sparingly of course..so if money is the focus don"t do it, you have loans for that...in med school you need time to study not work...besides the 1 or 2 shifts per month are not 60k/yr....lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Foolishness! My students take a semester load of about 30-40 credits....that's 2-3x the times of an intensive undergrad credit load. Anyone who thinks that they can work in med school and survive the curriculum might as well set fire to their application.

I had one student who thought he could still maintain his old consulting business and be a medical student. He was literally at the bottom of his class for a semester and was dismissed.

I had another student who thought he could do some weekly advising to undergrads at his alma mater. even that was too much...he tanked about half of the semester before he was convinced that he needed to devote ALL of his efforts to medical school.

I agree!! I don't know how I got side tracked saying it was feasible. I guess I just meant if you must get a job, there are different options that are more time and cost efficient.

I'm pretty sure the collective wisdom of the dozens of old threads re: working while med-studenting have it right. Terrible idea. Don't do it. If you're worried about money then pull that loan lever, spend the time you would have worked crushing UWorld questions, and match into ortho (or whatever higher compensating specialty du jour). Med school is about maximizing your ROI, be that return monetary or psychological or whatever. That payoff isn't meant for the 4 years of med school, so live cheaply and focus your investment on the important stuff. You have the rest of your life to live comfortably...if you don't get booted from your program after second year with $100k+ in student loan debt because you decided to pull in an extra $4000 that semester by working instead of studying for your pathophys finals.

I don't think one should work at all during med school if they can help it but if they feel so inclined there are options.

I'm talking part time jobs that are feasible during med school. So more of a high per hour job like bar tending, waiting tables, etc. That doesn't require investing a ton of time in training. Time = money.
You can't make 60-100k doing nursing while going to med school unless you pull some hermoine granger action. If you are going to become an rn why not just do np while you are at it? Seems like the time investment (plus the costs of becoming an RN) isn't really worth it if your goal is to ultimately become a doctor. Training for nursing = less time to get med school done which means less physicians pay.

There are also lots of jobs where you can study while you work like desk jobs. Trust me, I did them all while completing my pre-reqs!

Yeah but you said that there are many jobs that require little training with the same pay as an RN.

I had two kids and a husband in medical school. DO NOT WORK. It's not worth becoming a failing student in the process. Learn to budget and live off your loans.

There was a guy in my class who helped his wife with her business and manned the library during medical school. He failed first year then repeated first year, he failed second year then repeated second year. The ONLY reason he didn't fail out was his dad was a major contributor to the school and pulled strings to keep him in. He did well on rotations and eventually graduated in 6 years.

Medical school is a FULL TIME JOB and you need to treat it as such.:scared:

The word on the street is that it is highly not advised. Rather, it is only done in the circumstances of pure necessity.

Good luck!

I am one of the guilty few who have worked a little in med school. I am a PA and because of my previous knowledge and experience I have had to study a bit less than most of my classmates. (Note this was really NOT true in M1, more true for M2 once we hit systems.) Working Saturdays and the occasional afternoon was a financial necessity last semester when my loans were stretched too thin--I still made Bs but probably could have gotten a few more As if I hadn't worked (but might not have been able to pay my bills, so it was less stressful for me to work).
I would NEVER advise someone to undertake a training program just to have a part-time job in med school. You are expendable. Med school should be your priority.

Just strolled across this in the EM forum, seemed germane to this discussion...

...So here's my story;
Non traditional US senior in public state medical school; long story short, had to work EMS through medical school for financial reasons. Bad at managing both and ended up repeating 2nd year for a single course failure in which remediation was not an option. Tough coming back from it but I will finish my coursework with no other failures on my record. ...[lots of snip here]
NOW: No match, No SOAP and about 500k in debt and not sure about my future.

This is the doomsday version of what "working and making a little side money" while in med school looks like. Since we can establish that the risk of this outcome happening is nontrivial, the severity of it happening has to weigh pretty damn heavily.

Everyone seems to be suggesting that you budget and live off your loans even if you have a family. But I don't think I understand how that's possible, since as far as I understand, you can only borrow about 10k a year (maybe a little more depending on the school and a little extra for having a kid) for living expenses. You don't get any extra for a spouse. How can you support a family of 3-4 on 13-16k a year (maybe 18k if you work during the summer - about the same as one minimum wage job) Especially considering most med schools are located in cities which are more expensive, I just don't see how it's possible.

If I'm misunderstanding something about how the loans work, please please let me know! But it seems to me that you need to either have savings or have your spouse work if you don't work while in school. It's tough enough to make it on a 10k budget if it's just you even with a roommate. I know, I'm doing it now - I can't imagine if I had to pay other half of rent and expenses for another person on the same amount...

I am not in medical school, but from my understanding, the summer between year 1 and year 2 is open in many schools. Perhaps you could work during that summer doing something that is skilled, but not requiring extensive training (phlebotomist, lab tech, something based on your undergraduate degree, etc). It may be some side cash, but that is all I can think of.

Would I advise getting an RN or medic licence to work during the first 2 years? Absolutely not.

However, there are plenty of people who have worked part-time (up to 20hrs per wk) and have done just fine. I worked about 10hrs/wk in the ED during M1 and did above average. Some of the top people in my class have also worked part-time doing things such as nursing, EMS, or as a paid Kaplan tutor.

Make sure you can handle med school first, but if you have a few extra hrs to spare per week and need the extra cash, its absolutely doable.

Can you fail in med school? Yes, so why risk it?

Just strolled across this in the EM forum, seemed germane to this discussion...

This is the doomsday version of what "working and making a little side money" while in med school looks like. Since we can establish that the risk of this outcome happening is nontrivial, the severity of it happening has to weigh pretty damn heavily.

Ok. This really scared me.

Everyone seems to be suggesting that you budget and live off your loans even if you have a family. But I don't think I understand how that's possible, since as far as I understand, you can only borrow about 10k a year (maybe a little more depending on the school and a little extra for having a kid) for living expenses. You don't get any extra for a spouse. How can you support a family of 3-4 on 13-16k a year (maybe 18k if you work during the summer - about the same as one minimum wage job) Especially considering most med schools are located in cities which are more expensive, I just don't see how it's possible.

If I'm misunderstanding something about how the loans work, please please let me know! But it seems to me that you need to either have savings or have your spouse work if you don't work while in school. It's tough enough to make it on a 10k budget if it's just you even with a roommate. I know, I'm doing it now - I can't imagine if I had to pay other half of rent and expenses for another person on the same amount...

You can borrow upto the amount of your school's calculated COA (cost of attendance) which often times is quite generous if you're used to being frugal and living on a budget. I won't lie, it wasn't easy but my family made it work without much headache. Plus, most schools allow additional COL funds for each dependent child. Since you don't have significant income as a student oftentimes you may qualify for Medicaid, foodstamps, etc.

We made sure we cleared all unsecured debt prior to maticulating (car loans, CCs, etc) because you can't borrow extra for those reasons. But schools do allow additional loan funds for childcare (if your spouse is in school or working), a single personal computer, car repairs (partial amount), etc.

Some of my classmates borrowed private educational loans which I don't recommend because those funds can't be consolidated or paid back using the IBR or PSLF programs. They also can't be discharged via death or disability. My family made it work with solely federal student loans.

I worked 2-3 weekends a month M1-M2. It was fine on my grades, just took time away from the family. I know others who have done the same. Usually its some medically related job, or an at-home type of situation.

I don't think this thread is really about ability to work in med school. You can certainly get away with it if you manage your time right. However, the OP was actually considering additional training just for a med school job. This is highly inadvisable!!

Survivor DO

Yeah but you said that there are many jobs that require little training with the same pay as an RN.

Yeah there are and I stand by that. You can't make 60k a year working as a nurse while in med school...you can only work a few shifts a week.

Their per hour pay is $20 - $45 an hour. Do you want me to start listing positions?

I am a long-time RN with experience in critical care, adults and children, OHS, etc. I am not yet in medical school, b/c I have not applied d/t the completion of another program I started before considering medicine.

Because I had already pursued nursing and have strong experience in certain areas, I don't doubt that there are times when I may be able to pick up shifts while in MS. If I am lucky, maybe it will equal to 20% of my full-time work value. I may indeed be dreaming here.

To start a career in nursing just to make a certain amount while in med school will not pan out for you in all probability. The Opportunity Costs of a nursing degree will not give you the gain you are looking for in terms of the cost of attendance, time commitment, and then getting a strong amount of experience in a particular area in order to be marketable, and then it will be more than challenging to move further in terms of work while juggling medical school unless you are some kind of machine when it comes to quickly learning large amounts of material.

In terms of jobs, well there are some exceptions, depending on the area, but right now, graduate nurses are NOT, repeat NOT getting jobs--and if they are, they are not in the areas they want or even in the hospital. Places outside of the hospitals tend to may a lot less. On top of that, as in any field, you have to pay your dues, and that means, usually, a good amount of night shift, holidays, and weekends. If you do get a hospital acute or critical care position right out of school, you will be so beaten up by the job, again, depending upon the type of hospital and area in which you are working, it will be a huge struggle to concentrate to meet the demands of med school. Plus, you would be new to the field, and would have to deal with the extra stress of the learning curve, and an environment that is not always supportive (often not even a little supportive) of those new to the field.

It's not worth the money, energy, stress, & the reduction in time that would probably need to be dedicated to medical science studies--along with any little time left over to take care of yourself and be with your family. It might be one thing if you were already working in the field for a good period of time; but even then, the demands of medical school material and volume will make working more than say, per diem, pretty difficult. You'd only end up with 1/5 of what you think you might be able to make in the field, IF THAT, given the school demands--and that's if you find a job in one of the higher pay settings and get through the heavy and often caustic grind of acclimating to the role. It can be tough to get hooked up with people that will truly be there for the new nurse, as opposed to those that are just waiting for the novice nurse to make a mistake. Many places cycle through new nurse hires like socks. You might get lucky in that regard, but it will still be a grind. Being a new nurse in acute or critical care--in say a busy university center--as one example--along with going to medical school. Wow, I don't have the time to really get into it all. It's compounded stress and for the hours you will be able to work, so not worth it.

I think everyone is on the right track in this thread, and I think they are being wise and honest.

Opportunity Loss/ Opportunity Gain will not make it worth it.

Last edited:

I'm a single mom of two boys. Other than doing some paid research work between 1st and 2nd year, I haven't worked during medical school. I get about 19,000/year to live on from student loans + $500/month for a total of about $25,000/year to live on. During 1st year and most of 2nd year, I received only $186/month in child support (my ex thought he wasn't paying enough in child support and requested the court to raise it - talk about unheard of!!) Of course, I go to school in an area that has a lower cost of living. My boys are eligible for medicaid, which saves some money because I don't have to purchase health insurance for them. We are also eligible for $500/month in food stamps. However, I pay full rent, utilities and daycare (no assistance for these things). I also pay for our cell phones, cable, internet, car insurance, gas, clothing, and everything else out of the student loans and child support.

Each time I receive my student loans, I pay rent, utilities (gas, electric, cable, cell phones, and internet), car insurance and daycare for 6 months. This usually leaves me about $1500 - 2000 out of my student loans, I put almost all of that into a savings account - and have used that to pay for boards and save toward residency applications and travel for interviews. I use the $500/month in child support to pay for monthly needs - gas, incidentals, etc., etc. Fortunately, I need only before and after school care for one child (my oldest is in high school, my youngest is in elementary school). I use the food stamps for groceries every month - and make sure to make them last the entire month. I SO can't wait to be able to NOT use food stamps and medicaid!!

Yes, it's very tight - my kids and I don't do a lot of fun things. But, we do get to rent movies occasionally, and once in a while I get to go out with friends. They get a small amount of Christmas gifts every year. To be honest, I have more money now than I did during undergrad as a single parent - but, we were eligible for a lot more assistance when I was in undergrad as a newly divorced, single parent.

I know three people who worked as pharm techs 10-15 hours/week during their first two years. One is still in school, and the other two did well and got into their desired residencies.

I think that it is definitely possible to pick up a day or two every couple of weeks during medical school but I would advise against it because it will detract from your medical education. It is highly inadvisable to pursue another degree, your ROI isn't there.

thanks for the replies to my post! I guess I must have just been looking mostly at schools that have a lower cost of living allowance in their COA. $25k for three sounds really tough but doable. $16k (About 10 for the cost of living allowance and 3 per child as I was seeing) sounds very nearly impossible.

sgemmell, If you don't mind me asking, is the 19k your school's cost of living allowance for you and your children, and 500/month child support? And then the $500/month in food stamps on top of that?

To answer the OP, I am in agreement with everyone else that it doesn't seem to make sense to get a nursing degree just to work through med school. I do think though that if you're doing alright in your classes you can try tutoring, or something similar, part time. You can easily make $30+ per hour in most any city tutoring college students in their science classes. And if it starts to get to be too much to manage, you can cut back your hours without asking anyone's permission because you're your own boss.

I accept that it's not worth it to risk failing out of medical school, but being unable to pay your bills has to be at least as stressful as working a few hours a week. And it's really hard to spend your nights studying if your power gets cut off!

sgemmell, If you don't mind me asking, is the 19k your school's cost of living allowance for you and your children, and 500/month child support? And then the $500/month in food stamps on top of that?

I don't mind at all. The 19K is my school's COLA for me (I do not take extra for my kids, as it wouldn't amount to much extra). I get $500/month child support on top of that. I also get the $500/month in food stamps on top of that. So, I guess if you add all that up - it comes to $31,000/year; with $6000/year only being able to be used toward food. Since I make sure I don't spend over the $500/month in food stamps for food - that means that we are living off $25,000/year for everything except for food. - which comes out to just over $2000/month, not counting food.

Like I said, I live in a place that has relatively low cost of living, so $2000/month (not counting food), is enough - not easy, we don't have a lot to do a lot of "extra" stuff, but needs are met. I also just drive a small car that has been paid off for years - so no car payment, just car insurance. Also, I only have to pay for before and after school care for one of my children, as the other is in a freshman in high school. $2000/month goes fast - but, it is doable, where I live. If I were going to a place with a higher cost of living, I'm sure it would be even more difficult (if not impossible).

Also, I agree - don't work during medical school if it can be avoided. School is busy enough as it is, and then when you add a family on top of that - your time is very limited and something will have to give.

I know three people who worked as pharm techs 10-15 hours/week during their first two years. One is still in school, and the other two did well and got into their desired residencies.

For every one person who could take on the extra load of a job during med school and still do well, there are about a dozen for whom it is a horrible idea. You might be using all of your time just to stay above water. Med school students have been known to fail things due to distractions like this. And residencies are competitive, meaning that if the extra couple of hundred bucks you earn each week means you end up with worse grades or test scores, that my cost you tens of thousands down the road. It's just a bad idea to do this fir other than an absolute necessity, and even then I would wait until school starts to determine if you are really going to have the time to spare.

Wow guys. I'm really surprised that ALL of you agree that it's a bad idea. Usually there is someone who disagrees with the majority, just to sound a different opinion. In this post, none.
Now, I'm really convinced it's a bad idea. Gotta let that go. Thanks guys. You just saved me 2 years and a few thousands of dollars.

Wow guys. I'm really surprised that ALL of you agree that it's a bad idea. Usually there is someone who disagrees with the majority, just to sound a different opinion. In this post, none.
Now, I'm really convinced it's a bad idea. Gotta let that go. Thanks guys. You just saved me 2 years and a few thousands of dollars.

Was my mic not on?...

I assume he means more about whether to get a nursing degree before starting med school and less about working in general.

Touché. I tend to respond to thread titles if they're straightforward.

Was my mic not on?...

Hey ErrantWhatever. I read and appreciate your response. I was talking about the Nursing degree as Rain4Venus said.
Yeah, I guess the title is misleading. My bad :)

Hey ErrantWhatever. I read and appreciate your response. I was talking about the Nursing degree as Rain4Venus said.
Yeah, I guess the title is misleading. My bad :)

Haha. That's very kind of you, but I really should've paid more attention to the RN degree focus. Just to affirm your unanimity observation: that idea sounds insane. :p

Good luck!

Haha. That's very kind of you, but I really should've paid more attention to the RN degree focus. Just to affirm your unanimity observation: that idea sounds insane. :p

Good luck!

Lol. Thanx.