MD & DO Canadian - 3.56 sGPA, 3.85 cGPA, 29 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumbosaur

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to what my chances would be with my current stats? I know that the MCAT is very low (especially for international applicants) but I was wondering if I have a chance at any low-mid tier US MD or DO schools. My stats are:
1st year - 3.3
2nd year - 4.0
3rd year - 4.0
4th year - aiming for a 4.0

My first MCAT was a 24 (7/9/8) and the most recent one was 29 (10/9/10).

EC's
- VP/President at a 2 clubs
- Research, (I've been working since May and there is a good chance I'll have a publication [possibly 1st author] this summer/next year)
- Student government for 2 years
- 82 hours volunteering at a hospital, endoscopy unit
- Mentoring elementary-school age kids for 2 years
- Part of a weekly journal club with grad students
- I also used to teach karate and coach soccer in high school

My question is: with the upward trend and my EC's would I have any shot or should I do a Master's and/or retake the MCAT and re-apply? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is the problem for MD schools, not the GPA. Thus, doing a MS is not wise. Retaking the MCAT and acing it would be the most helpful thing you can do for your app to the 74 US MD med schools that accept international students.

You're fine right now for DO programs. Alas. mine only accepts US citizens or those with green cards. So do your homework and apply widely.

Hey SDN,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice as to what my chances would be with my current stats? I know that the MCAT is very low (especially for international applicants) but I was wondering if I have a chance at any low-mid tier US MD or DO schools. My stats are:
1st year - 3.3
2nd year - 4.0
3rd year - 4.0
4th year - aiming for a 4.0

My first MCAT was a 24 (7/9/8) and the most recent one was 29 (10/9/10).

EC's
- VP/President at a 2 clubs
- Research, (I've been working since May and there is a good chance I'll have a publication [possibly 1st author] this summer/next year)
- Student government for 2 years
- 82 hours volunteering at a hospital, endoscopy unit
- Mentoring elementary-school age kids for 2 years
- Part of a weekly journal club with grad students
- I also used to teach karate and coach soccer in high school

My question is: with the upward trend and my EC's would I have any shot or should I do a Master's and/or retake the MCAT and re-apply? Thanks!

Thanks Goro! Would it still be worth applying to US MD schools if I do so early and broadly or is my mcat just too low for me to receive any serious contention from adcoms? I'm just concerned about securing a residency as a Canadian DO...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Goro! Would it still be worth applying to US MD schools if I do so early and broadly or is my mcat just too low for me to receive any serious contention from adcoms? I'm just concerned about securing a residency as a Canadian DO...

The 2 low mcats will hit you hard for USMD schools. Unless you have OUTSTANDING ECs, then no point. Based on your ECs shown, they are below average to average at best (its all relative). High school stuff is outdated.

Retake the MCAT and do a few points higher, and you are in the running at Canadian and USMD schools.

As it stands you stand a good shot at USDO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
The AAMC recommends averaging multiple MCAT scores. This puts you out of the running for US MD (barring some amazing personal quality or accomplishment). Your better chance is DO, though only about 20 DO schools considered applications from internationals last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
The AAMC recommends averaging multiple MCAT scores. This puts you out of the running for US MD (barring some amazing personal quality or accomplishment). Your better chance is DO, though only about 20 Do schools took internationals last year.

To correct gyngyn, there are only about 10 DO schools that realistically take Canadians:

1. AZCOM
2. CCOM
3. Western-COMP (POMONA)
4. Nova Southeastern
5. KCUMB
6. MSU-COM(25 reserved seats for Canadians)
7. MU-COM
8. UNECOM
9. Touro-COM NY (Both campuses Harlem and Middletown)
10. LMU-DCOM

There may be others that say they take internationals, but barring some special connection or attending a local US university there, they are cash grabs.

Reactions: 1 user
To correct gyngyn, there are only about 10 DO schools that realistically take Canadians:

1. AZCOM
2. CCOM
3. Western-COMP (POMONA)
4. Nova Southeastern
5. KCUMB
6. MSU-COM(25 reserved seats for Canadians)
7. MU-COM
8. UNECOM
9. Touro-COM NY (Both campuses Harlem and Middletown)
10. LMU-DCOM

There may be others that say they take internationals, but barring some special connection or attending a local US university there, they are cash grabs.
Correction accepted. There are 74 MD schools that accept applications from internationals but only about half that number that take 2 or more. It's hard to tell from the AACOMAS data and frankly, this is a window of opportunity for international students at DO schools. In 4 years I'll bet that internationals will be more uncommon in DO schools due to challenges faced when they apply for for residency.