Canadian applicant - cGPA 3.5 DegGPA 4.0 MCAT 30 appreciate your comments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premedar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a Canadian applicant. I attended university of Toronto for 2 years studying Electrical Engineering. At the time I wasn't sure what I am going to do with my university degree, after giving it some serious thoughts I decided to pursue my undergraduate degree in a completely different program. So I started studying Biology at York University (Toronto). I recently graduate from York University.

My cumulative GPA, that is considering my 2 years at UofT and the 4 years at York is ~3.5 whereas my GPA from my 4 years at York is 4.0. I wrote the MCAT last year and got a 30 and am planning to retaking the test in about a month hoping to raise my score to a 33 (I promise not to complain if I ended up with a 45!).

I have absolutely no familiarity with the American system or any of the US medical schools. I was hoping to ask you folks if with these stats I have a chance of an invite from any of the MD schools in the US? I would appreciate all your comments.

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

4 years of 4.0 and a even 30-33 mcat should get you some USMD invites but it will depend on your PS and ECs.

Thank you for your response...

In terms of ECs.

I have worked in one laboratory for two years the results of which was a first author publication. Then I started working in another laboratory about a year ago and we are currently working on two manuscripts to be submitted for publication in a few months (I'll be the second author on both manuscripts). I would say one abstract submission and a very small conference presentation. At the same time I have been a research assistant at one of the hospitals in Toronto conducting clinical research. I have also served as a student representative in two committees (Petitions and Tenure and Promotions) for two years during my undergraduate years. I have been an exec member in three different student-run clubs for two years now. As well as about a year of tutoring and pseudo-TAing as part of one of the colleges in my school.

Re. my PS I am working on it, the truth is I was not motivated during my first two years of university and I screwed up, but ever since I tried to be a better student... I hope to be able to explain this to the committee if my file ever gets that far.