Canadian citizen, US Med Grad, on OPT, in US residency - H1b Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SBJhehe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like title states, I am an Canadian who went to a US medical school and got into a US residency. Currently in my Intern year on my OPT (from F-1 visa). I just finished my Step 3, and is looking into applying for H1b (my residency does do H1). Issue is, my state only give out 1 year temporary licenses, and my GME office can't renew the license until next March. I can file for H1b now, but since I am already on a OPT work visa until next June, and my current Temp License expires in June 2018. Here are my options:

1. I can file for H1b now, saving money on premium processing fees. I will then have my start date on H1 in March of next year (2018), since I can only apply for a start date 180 days into the future, no more than that. However, since my current license expires in June 2018, there is a chance USCIS will only approve my H1b till June 2018, which means I would have spent $3000 in lawyer and filing fees only to get a 3 months visa, and then I would have to pay the same amount next year for H1b extension.

2. I can wait and file after my Temp license renews in March, meaning I would need to pay the $1200 extra premium filing fee in order to get my H1b in time to continue my residency, since my OPT visa expires in June 2018.

So did anyone ever get approved for H1b and only obtained a visa lasting a few months?

It was difficult for me to find a thread on here that fits my situation, so I figured I would make a post, and the answers might help others in a similar situation. Any help or info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Still a couple years away from this process but isn't your sponsor required to pay all the fees associated with applying for H1b? It is my understanding that most people go through the premium processing for H1b for the purpose of residency.

I think premium processing is still under hault, thanks to trump et.al. My plan would be to apply in Nov-Dec. That way by the time your app gets processed it will be June, just in time for July.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think premium processing is still under hault, thanks to trump et.al. My plan would be to apply in Nov-Dec. That way by the time your app gets processed it will be June, just in time for July.
Premium processing for cap-exempt programs is now allowed (since late July). I'm trying to apply early since I can skip the fee that way.

Still a couple years away from this process but isn't your sponsor required to pay all the fees associated with applying for H1b? It is my understanding that most people go through the premium processing for H1b for the purpose of residency.
That's what I heard too, but when you program makes you pay for it, what can you do really?

That's what I heard too, but when you program makes you pay for it, what can you do really?
I heard that some people use their educational funds provided by residency programs toward their visa application. Say you get $800 dollars per year of your residency, you may be able to ask your program if you can use the funds (and if not enough, future funds) for visa.