Canadian First Year Dental Student AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, I am also looking to apply to Sydney and wanted to know what DAT score did you get in with? My gpa is 3.3 and I am writing my DAT in February.

Get as high a score as you can.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the process for coming back to practice in Canada?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a student line of credit? If you got one that is

Hey I was wondering if you have any recommendations for a student line of credit? If you got one that is
I went with CIBC Student Line of Credit. I believe they offered the most at the best rate.

hey derbear, first off, happy new year!
I am currently doing my 3rd year of PhD at U of T. What I've been realizing from the grad school is that I am not really a research person. so I want to study for dentistry but the problem is my GPA is very low (cumulative GPA 3.08 and sGPA around 3.15) which means I wouldn't even have a single chance at Canadian schools.
So I am planning to apply for US school but with my low GPA (my DAT scores are AA 21 PAT 23 and it is american DAT and will be retaking next month) I do not think I have a high chance there as well and also because of stupid currency difference at this moment, I think it would be also good option for me to apply for AUS dental schools.
My question is, do I have a realistic chance? Do they give you a bonus point on application for PhD students?

Thank you so much for your advice in advance!

hey derbear, first off, happy new year!
I am currently doing my 3rd year of PhD at U of T. What I've been realizing from the grad school is that I am not really a research person. so I want to study for dentistry but the problem is my GPA is very low (cumulative GPA 3.08 and sGPA around 3.15) which means I wouldn't even have a single chance at Canadian schools.
So I am planning to apply for US school but with my low GPA (my DAT scores are AA 21 PAT 23 and it is american DAT and will be retaking next month) I do not think I have a high chance there as well and also because of stupid currency difference at this moment, I think it would be also good option for me to apply for AUS dental schools.
My question is, do I have a realistic chance? Do they give you a bonus point on application for PhD students?

I personally believe you have a chance considering I know the stats of a few of my classmates. You should have no problem getting an interview IMO...and if you retake the DAT kill it. I feel that AUS schools look more at the DAT/Interview than grades.

I personally believe you have a chance considering I know the stats of a few of my classmates. You should have no problem getting an interview IMO...and if you retake the DAT kill it. I feel that AUS schools look more at the DAT/Interview than grades.
Thanks for the reply derbear!
another quick question.. it looks like the tuition fee itself is estimated to around 300k in AUD (but still a lot cheaper than US dental schools especially with current currency difference), how do you manage to cover all the money including living expenses? I know that Scotia bank gives you up to 275k but that does not cover all the money.. and compared to Toronto, how expensive/cheap is the living expense?
and also, do they include my graduate school grades as well when calculating the GPA? (I have taken a lot of courses - like 15 half year courses due to the nature of my field) any merit to PhD graduates?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey!
How hard is it being away from family and friends? And what is the academic schedule like? Do you gets summer breaks and do you fly back home often?

Hey!
How hard is it being away from family and friends? And what is the academic schedule like? Do you gets summer breaks and do you fly back home often?
I've lived away from home since I was 17 so it wasn't a big issue for me. For others, I think it can be tough but you get used to it. Academic schedule runs from January to basically the end of November. A month or so summer break in December and a few mid semester and semester 2 week breaks scattered in between.