USMLE Canadian Med Student Considering Step 1 - Couple questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eastcoastlifestyle

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I am a Canadian Medical Student (just finished 2nd year) and am thinking about writing the USMLE Step1. I have heard (through the grapevine) that it is beneficial to have if you wish to do a fellowship in the US following residency.
Q1) Can anyone verify if this is true?
Q2) Is it necessary to achieve a certain score, or just pass - for fellowship purposes.
Q3) What is a "good score"?
Q4) I assume it will take 6-8 weeks to study for (full-time) and so I am hesitant to use my precious summer if it is not entirely necessary. Is this a fair estimate of time required?

Thanks a million!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only considering writing next year, but this is what I know.

For an H1B visa (aka the 'good' visa that doesn't make you come back to Canada for 2 years) you need the USMLE (s?). Generally just a pass, but maybe better helps, but a pass is most important

1) No clue not canadian, just love hockey
2) Buy the usmle step 1 first aid book, Pathoma (video series and book), and Uworld question bank
3) 230 is the average score. People like being > average.
4) I personally think 5 weeks is too much but that likely depends on your preparation prior to that point. I'd say 6 would be a good estimate.