(CANADIAN MSc) Schools help please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemons22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm applying to USMD schools in addition to Canadian schools this year and would love some help with choosing US schools! I'm finishing up year 1 of my MSc and have been assured from my supervisor I'll be able to finish by June 2016 if I get accepted somewhere this cycle. Previously waitlisted at 1 Canadian school in 2013 and 2014.

Ontario resident (Toronto)

cGPA: 3.91
sGPA (undergrad): 3.93
-OMSAS scale, not sure what it will be on AMCAS scale as not verified yet (primary submitted)

LizzyM: 71.1

MCAT: Aug 2012: 11PS/10VR/12BS/R = 33R
Jan 2015: 9PS/10VR/14BS = 33
-seems like some schools only accept my Jan 2015 MCAT but for some schools, my Aug 2012 MCAT is still valid (3 yr expiry). How much does that 9 in PS hurt me?

EC's etc: average?
-3 summers of research in undergrad, 1 poster presentation, 2 oral presentations (>1500 hours total)
-4th year honours thesis project
-2 major graduate student fellowships (Canada Graduate Scholarship and hospital-based studentship worth ~$20,000 each)
- physician shadowing >300 hours
- clinical volunteering >100 hours, and continuing this year
-medical/education volunteer trip to Dominican
-musical involvement (highschool- present) and won major awards (highschool/undergrad)
-co-director of tutoring club
-other tutoring/mentoring volunteer activities
-exec on graduate student council

Current school list:
-Albert Einstein
-George Washington
-Virginia Commonwealth University
-Chicago Medical School (Rosalind Franklin)
-Wayne State
-Georgetown
-Penn State?
-Mayo?
-Boston University?
-Tufts
-Case Western
-Brown
-Dartmouth
-Columbia
-Yale

Thoughts please? Looking to apply to ~15 schools max since I'm also going to be applying to Canadian schools again in the fall.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Your application seems great. You should look at MSAR and find places that accept internationals and develop your list from there. You want schools where your numbers are at the median stats or above them.

Seems okay so far, but I think you should expand it. Columbia, Yale, Case Western are reaches with your MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application seems great. You should look at MSAR and find places that accept internationals and develop your list from there. You want schools where your numbers are at the median stats or above them.

Seems okay so far, but I think you should expand it. Columbia, Yale, Case Western are reaches with your MCAT.

I have been looking at the MSAR but was trying to focus on more research-intensive schools (as I have a lot of research experiences) and also eliminated some schools based on things like not having the required LOR's (eg. from non-science faculty member).

Do you have any suggestions for other schools you think I should add?

I have been looking at the MSAR but was trying to focus on more research-intensive schools (as I have a lot of research experiences) and also eliminated some schools based on things like not having the required LOR's (eg. from non-science faculty member).

Do you have any suggestions for other schools you think I should add?

It's fine to focus on research intensive schools, but you can't be that picky and disregard schools that aren't research powerhouses. The main goal is an MD right? All schools can provide some sort of support for research.

Just to provide perspective which I think is good for canadian citizens

43% of US citizens who apply to US MD schools are accepted to at least one
13% of Canadian citizens who apply to US MD schools are accepted to at least one

So that should give you an idea of where to focus your time on

It looks like you have invested in MSAR and checked schools that take internationals. Take it one step further; check schools who haven't taken any in the last few years(or very few) and which schools have taken the most.

You have a nice application but you are wasting time throwing applications at schools with median MCAT scores 3-4 points higher than yours being a Canadian citizen. Mayo, Brown, Columbia and Yale all aren't smart choices. I probably wouldn't endorse schools with 35-36 MCAT medians like CAse, Einstein and Boston U for you either being an international. The types of schools you need to focus on are lower tiers. VCU, Rosalind, G-town, Penn State, Tufts are good starting choices. Add to those. Schools with median MCAT scores 30-33 are where you should be aiming.