Canadian; no post-bacc programs. What can I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

R35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in my final year of undergrad in Canada, but my GPA is not so good. It's somewhere around 3.3, *and* I've accrued my fair-share of C's in some harder courses (biochemistry, neurobiology), as well as one F (Orgo II).

As far as I'm aware, Canada doesn't have Post-Baccs. So what can I do? Do I take a 5th year with a random science courses to boost my GPA? Do I enroll at Michener Health Institute in a three-year radiology program, kill it, and then re-apply?

I also took the MCAT in 2014, but didn't do so well. I took it blindy without studying and got a 26. I know, stupid. I've made a ton of dumb decisions along the way.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying in Canada or the US? Your chances in Canada are not great... If you want to stay in Canada, if your 4th year was okay, you could do a 5th year and then do a Master's. You will also need a very good MCAT if you're applying to an English school. (Which presumably you are since you took the MCAT already!)

Some people do postbaccs in the US. The thing with this is that it won't necessarily be taken the same way as the US schools would view it. Check out the schools in Canada and calculate your GPA if you aced your postbacc. Some schools still would be out of reach.

You are going to need a second undergrad degree. This can be done in 2-3 years, but it depends on your new/old majors.
Also, you are going to need to figure out why your grades are so low, and what is going to be different now.You will need 3.9+ each year

Honestly, you really need to re-evaluate. You appear to have organizational and test-taking issues. think the Michner program could be a great fit, and you can use those grades (I think, don't trust this) as undergrad grades if it goes well