MD & DO Canadian, pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

popeyespinach

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian student, just having graduated recently with a degree in math (from a Canadian uni). I'll be doing an MSc in Math (from a Canadian uni) and after which my goal is to apply for med, both in Canada and the States. I haven't written the MCATs but these are my undergrad stats:

AMCAS:
cGPA: 3.68
BCPM (at least what I think would be considered): 3.71
I had a terrible second term of my first year, and it has really brought my average down. In the last 3 years, I have an extremely well upward trend with a 3.95+ in my last year.

ECs:
I went to a school which offered co-op program so I had a few interesting opportunities:
1. For 8 months, I tutored full time at a community college and lectured a remedial course.
2. Worked in the medical physics dept of a hospital, doing QA and carried out a project that resulted in a review paper in a dosimetry journal
3. Worked on campus at my university as a full time teaching assistant for an online course, did marking and continued with part-time marking after leaving the position
4. Worked with a biology group on campus for 4 months, working on some mathematical modelling applied to genetics
5. Worked on a project with a researcher on campus for 4 months, in an area of physics/CS/math

I am not sure if the above would be considered EC's (would they?). Some weaker ECs are: intramural hockey for about 12 months, bouldering, resident assistant (RA)

I have two more years in Masters to carry out more ECs. What other types of ECs would strengthen my app? I was keen on volunteering at a museum but if another volunteering position would be better for my app, of course I would pursue that. I also have the usual TA opportunities but I am planning on getting a teaching course done with, so that I can teach introductory courses whilst in my masters; would this be of any help at all or should I not waste my time with this? Also, how much of an effect does a Master's degree (in math) have on a med app? Also, I haven't finished Orgo chem/lab, so that remains...

Last, the question of MCAT remains; with the introduction of the new MCAT, I am not sure what type of mark to aim for. I have enough motivation to study hard for 4 months straight. So what are my chances considering the AMCAS GPA, my current "ECs" and the fact that I am Canadian?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you make sure that your story is told through your application in a compelling way, you will stand out and will have a good chance. You need to make sure that all of your EC's flow together in a way that shows the admissions committee who you are, and why you stand out. Grades and MCAT are important, but they are only part of the application. Keep working hard, and keep doing things that you love and that you know will help improve yourself and make you a good doctor. If you do that, I am certain that you will stand out in your application.