Canadian Re-applying to DO!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoc2323

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have applied this cycle and have heard very little back from DO schools. My cGPA was 3.19, sGPA 2.95 (Very low i know!) and had an MCAT originally of 29. However, I applied early in June and re-wrote the MCAT in September and managed to get a 509. However, many schools had rejected me post secondary before my new MCAT score was released. I did manage to get an interview at BCOM and am currently waitlisted (fingers crossed!) and pre-interview waitlisted at AZCOM and WesternU. Realistically, I am looking to reapply next cycle if things don't work out this year. I am re-taking a few science classes to improve my sGPA (I can bring it to around 3.5). Will reapplying be looked at negatively? Is it okay if i reapply to all the schools that rejected me post-secondary. When schools ask what I did to improve this cycle, is it okay to mention re-taking science classes? Any advice is great!

Members don't see this ad.

Your MCAT is competitive for any DO school. Your weakness is your sGPA. Take some relatively easy science courses to raise that sGPA in case you need to reapply. If you apply again next June concentrate on the newer schools. There may be new schools opening in Utah, Texas, Arkansas. Other schools to consider in addition to BCOM include:
ACOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
CUSOM
LUCOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Some of these schools may not accept Canadian applicants so you will need to check the policy for each school. Any other schools that also accept Canadian applicants are also fine but these I listed are schools where your MCAT is significantly above the mean.