Canadian student applying through Atlantic Bridge

ameer91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had grade 10 average of 96%. My grade 11 average will hopefully be 92-95%. I am taking AP tests outside of class in biology, chemistry, physics, and calculus for which I am confident I will receive 5 on. I am also doing SAT 2 in biology, chemistry, physics, and math for which I am confident I will get 750+. I am planning on doing 2nd year university courses in grade 12 including organic chemistry, biology, and physics for which I plan 90%. Not, these university courses go beyond IB/A-level. What are my chances if my ECs are good

Members don't see this ad.

Stay in school, go to university work towards a BSc and apply to Canadian and US medical schools.

DO NOT go to a foreign school, you won't get a residency most likely and it costs a LOT of $$$. Not worth the risk.

Stay in school, go to university work towards a BSc and apply to Canadian and US medical schools.

DO NOT go to a foreign school, you won't get a residency most likely and it costs a LOT of $$$. Not worth the risk.

Foreign schools cost, on average, equivalent to US private schools. As for residency, upwards of 85% of their graduates match on their first try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Foreign schools cost, on average, equivalent to US private schools. As for residency, upwards of 85% of their graduates match on their first try.

But match in what countries, and what types of programs? What percentage of those graduates match into their desired specialty, vs. taking whatever they can? Do Irish schools have issues with matriculated students dropping later on, similar to Caribbean schools? Do Irish schools adhere to the "average" tuition cost you infer? Can you provide some more info that is not dubious?

OP, if you want to practice in the U.S., there are plenty of threads where attendings/residents/med students have talked about how the match is trending towards the point where IMG's will be lucky if they grab a spot; give those a look. I can't speak as to the Canadian system, so I'll leave that to someone else.

But match in what countries, and what types of programs? What percentage of those graduates match into their desired specialty, vs. taking whatever they can? Do Irish schools have issues with matriculated students dropping later on, similar to Caribbean schools? Do Irish schools adhere to the "average" tuition cost you infer? Can you provide some more info that is not dubious?

OP, if you want to practice in the U.S., there are plenty of threads where attendings/residents/med students have talked about how the match is trending towards the point where IMG's will be lucky if they grab a spot; give those a look. I can't speak as to the Canadian system, so I'll leave that to someone else.

I was referring to matching in the US. For over a decade people have been talking about IMGs not being able to match in the US and so far, it has not happened. Granted, an IMG will be hard-pressed to match into nsurg or plastics but matching into primary care and even things like radiology happens regularly and is very common. Look at data released for the match each year and you see the same pattern each year: when you compare an IMG with a US senior with the same stats, you still are able to match, albeit at a lower probability.

I do admit that I should have been more specific about the term foreign, I was referring to Caribbean,

As for Canada, it is definitely true that you will have a much harder time matching for a CARMS spot, especially with having to sign ROS, etc.

Anyways, the purpose of my post was not to say that a foreign school should be chosen over a LCME school, I wanted to point out that people shouldn't have a biased and exaggerated view toward foreign schools.

Here are the match data for the US. People can go through it and draw their own conclusions