Canadian Students - community college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evie1455

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've completed most of my optometry prerequisites at a university but I am missing one prereq. I was planning on registering for that one class at a nearby college.
Has any Canadian student taken a prereq at a college instead of at a university? I know that some American applicants have done that but because college and university are considered different institutions here in Canada, I was wondering if anyone had advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure since in Canada, university and college courses are weighed differently. However, you should call the schools that you want to apply to and ask them. It may not even matter but if you are applying to Waterloo, it probably will matter. I think Waterloo only wants university classes

Again, the best place to get your answer is to call the schools you want to apply to. Keep in mind that every student on this forum has a different story and there are students from variety of schools here. Someone could give you advice on how it works for their schools but it may not be the same for every other school.

So as far as I am aware, your best option would be to see if there is a nearby community college that will transfer the course to your University