Canadian taking MCAT in US? Is the test in SI/metric? Has anyone done this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hi SDN!

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this right!

All of the Canadian testing centres have filled up for my desired MCAT date. I live close to the border, and I was thinking of taking it in the US instead of choosing a date I really don't want.

1) Any Canadians out there who have done this? Were there any issues crossing the border, identifying yourself at the testing centre etc.
2) IS THE TEST IN SI UNITS?! I don't want to sit down and be shocked that temperatures are in Fareinheit, weights in lbs and oz, distances in yards and inches...

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN!

This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this right!

All of the Canadian testing centres have filled up for my desired MCAT date. I live close to the border, and I was thinking of taking it in the US instead of choosing a date I really don't want.

1) Any Canadians out there who have done this? Were there any issues crossing the border, identifying yourself at the testing centre etc.
2) IS THE TEST IN SI UNITS?! I don't want to sit down and be shocked that temperatures are in Fareinheit, weights in lbs and oz, distances in yards and inches...

Thank you!
They don't change the test because of the nation the test was taken in. Just like if you take it in China it still wouldn't be in Chinese.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't believe you would think that the test would'nt be in SI units...really?

Test will be the same and no one will care from where you came from. probably feeding the troll but whatever.

Last edited:
I can't believe you would think that the test would be in SI units...really?

Test will be the same and no one will care from where you came from. probably feeding the troll but whatever.

Which means it actually is 99% in SI units :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! And yes, I was genuinely concerned that the test would not be in SI units (Thirsty4MD, I think you mean't "wouldn't be in SI units?") In a previous physics course, the prof. used a new textbook and didn't realize that the entire kinematics section used mph, lbs, etc.... From that point on I always kind of wondered if it was customary in the US to study physics as this weird imperial metric mix, or if it was just a really strange textbook. Thanks for clearing that up, haha

Thanks guys! And yes, I was genuinely concerned that the test would not be in SI units (Thirsty4MD, I think you mean't "wouldn't be in SI units?") In a previous physics course, the prof. used a new textbook and didn't realize that the entire kinematics section used mph, lbs, etc.... From that point on I always kind of wondered if it was customary in the US to study physics as this weird imperial metric mix, or if it was just a really strange textbook. Thanks for clearing that up, haha
*Wouldn't, yea.

Anyways, MCAT is a standardized test that is the same format all around. It is only offered in English and that's why Quebec residents don't have to do the MCAT since it's not offered in French. Good luck!

And still on the mcat non si questions happen. Even though I was pretty sure AAmc stated otherwise.

If there were non-SI units on the MCAT, it is because no calculations were required for that problem.