MD Canadian - Too late to apply to American Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDoctorist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN, I'm in quite a weird bind and was wondering your opinion about my options.

I signed up for an AMCAS account back in June and was expecting to apply during that time. However, I noted that my MCAT ( 30 - 12/8/10) was rather low considering there would be a great influx of applications this year. Thus, I spent the summer working on the new MCAT and received my score on Oct 13th.
On the new MCAT I scored a 520 . I didn't expect to do this well so I never even considered applying to the US.

My question is, would it be too late to apply to some american schools? (low tiers etc.)

Current Stats:
Canadian resident, one year out of university.
Old Mcat: 30 (12/8/10)
New Mcat: 520 (132/129/129/130)
GPA: 3.97
SGPA: ~3.95
EC: Started a NPO that donates clothing to shelters in Ontario, Worked in a laboratory at Brigham and women's hospital in Boston (2 manuscripts in prep), other relatively average EC's.

Members don't see this ad.

Spend this year bolstering your ECs and apply early next cycle.

Thank you for your response. I'm currently applying for Ontario schools. I'm not too worried about the monetary aspect, but would you consider it a far reach to apply to some of the lower tier american medical schools?

I'm just afraid that all this time away from school will reflect poorly on my future applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. I'm currently applying for Ontario schools. I'm not too worried about the monetary aspect, but would you consider it a far reach to apply to some of the lower tier american medical schools?

Would you rather be at an Ontario school or an American school?

I would prefer to be enroled in an Ontario school... but would take an american school over another gap year.

Hmm, well, particularly as an international, it's unlikely that you would find success here applying so late, even with your stats. I personally think it would be better to just not apply to American schools this year and then if you aren't accepted to an Ontario school this year (and it looks like you have a very good shot), not be a reapplicant next year to American schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm, well, particularly as an international, it's unlikely that you would find success here applying so late, even with your stats. I personally think it would be better to just not apply to American schools this year and then if you aren't accepted to an Ontario school this year (and it looks like you have a very good shot), not be a reapplicant next year to American schools.

Ahh I see, shucks. I guess I'll expend my energy on Ontario schools this year and try next year for America. Thank you for your quick responses :).

Would the american schools look down on my 2 years out of school? I'm spending the year volunteering in the hospital, working on my NPO, working on a website that donates to international charities, as well as doing some personal enhancemeents (e.g. learning chinese, travelling).

Ahh I see, shucks. I guess I'll expend my energy on Ontario schools this year and try next year for America. Thank you for your quick responses :).

Would the american schools look down on my 2 years out of school? I'm spending the year volunteering in the hospital, working on my NPO, working on a website that donates to international charities, as well as doing some personal enhancemeents (e.g. learning chinese, travelling).

They would not look down on it at all

Definitely just stay with Ontario this year and both next. I'm basically in the same position where I'm applying to both but would rather stay in Canada, and if you have trouble in Ontario as many great applicants do, you want all the help you can get for your shot in the US.

Plus if you get waitlisted in Ontario your first try you won't have to make a hard decision if you get accepted in the US. Next year if you don't get accepted for 2016 you'll have given Canada two shots and have a great chance at getting interviews in the US applying early.

Definitely just stay with Ontario this year and both next. I'm basically in the same position where I'm applying to both but would rather stay in Canada, and if you have trouble in Ontario as many great applicants do, you want all the help you can get for your shot in the US.

Plus if you get waitlisted in Ontario your first try you won't have to make a hard decision if you get accepted in the US. Next year if you don't get accepted for 2016 you'll have given Canada two shots and have a great chance at getting interviews in the US applying early.

Thank you for your reply. I will look forward to my canadian applications. Good luck on your applications :)