Canadian who Completed Dental School and Ortho residency in USA Move Back to Canada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nikoniko12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am Canadian who studied in Dental school and currently in Ortho residency in the states. I completed the CDCA and NBDE Part 1 and 2. I will be finishing my ortho residency in December 2025. I have not completed the NDEB. Do I need to completed both the NDEB AND the NDSE to work as an orthodontist in Canada? I heard from other residents that you only need to complete the NDSE and get something like a "limited dental specialty license" in Canada. Is this a thing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You don’t need the Virtual OSCE from NDEB (VOSCE) as that is to have a generalist license.
You can just pass the NDSE and practice to your specialty’s full scope in Canada.

Pros of VOSCE
-Can go back to general practice in Canada if you wish
-C̶a̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶3̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶(̶W̶A̶,̶ ̶C̶O̶,̶ ̶M̶N̶)̶
-Can work an extra 2-3 months in Canada while you wait for your NDSE results

Cons of VOSCE
-Need to freshen up on low yield (pertaining to your ortho NDSE) topics such as restorative, prosthodontics, and endodontics.
-Less time for NDSE since you’ll be studying for VOSCE. However, many topics will overlap (e.g. oral path/omfr, perio, ortho, etc) so it wouldn’t be a complete waste of time.

Edit: Just noticed you took CDCA. Less reasons to take the VOSCE.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You don’t need the Virtual OSCE from NDEB (VOSCE) as that is to have a generalist license.
You can just pass the NDSE and practice to your specialty’s full scope in Canada.

Pros of VOSCE
-Can go back to general practice in Canada if you wish
-C̶a̶n̶ ̶p̶r̶a̶c̶t̶i̶c̶e̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶3̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶t̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶e̶x̶a̶m̶i̶n̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶(̶W̶A̶,̶ ̶C̶O̶,̶ ̶M̶N̶)̶
-Can work an extra 2-3 months in Canada while you wait for your NDSE results

Cons of VOSCE
-Need to freshen up on low yield (pertaining to your ortho NDSE) topics such as restorative, prosthodontics, and endodontics.
-Less time for NDSE since you’ll be studying for VOSCE. However, many topics will overlap (e.g. oral path/omfr, perio, ortho, etc) so it wouldn’t be a complete waste of time.

Edit: Just noticed you took CDCA. Less reasons to take the VOSCE.
Have you personally taken the NDSE for any specialty? Also thank you so much for the detailed response! Had a mini heart attack earlier this week